Chapter 12 - Best

Dalton Serano

I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't feel Ellie in my arms. I turned to the side and she's nowhere to be found. I got up from the bed and walked out from her bedroom.

The TV in the living room was on and I walked towards it to see her sleeping on the sofa. I patted my chest to calm myself down.

I turned the TV off and walked to the kitchen to drink a glass of water. I walked back to the living room and grabbed her phone from the ground putting it on the table. I slowly picked her up and brought her back to the room.

She still has a fever but it was not a bad one. I tucked her in and sat on the side of the bed.

I grabbed my phone and walked out from her bedroom. I sat on the sofe in the living room letting out a long sigh.

Dating her took a lot of energy and time. I'm tired already and it's been a week.

I saw her laptop laying there on the living room table. Something told me to check on it. I grabbed it and opened it. She got no password to it and I checked all the folders in her desktop one by one but it's all about work.

I went straight to her private folders and I froze when I saw my name on one of her folders. I was debating with myself if I should open it or not.

I clicked it.

There's a video titled ACCEPTANCE TO HARVARD. I clicked on it and lowered the volume. The video started with Ellie smiling to the camera.

"In 2 minutes, they will announce if I get it or not." Ellie said and I could see she was shaking.

"Are you nervous?" I heard another voice and it sounded like her father.

"Yes, I'm so nervous. I hope this all pays off." She smiled to I'm assumming her father.

"I think you will get in, honey. You worked so hard for this." It's confirmed, that's her parents.

"I hope so.." She said as she held her hands together and then she looked at the camera. She smiled and then her eyes got back to her laptop screen.

"It's time, sweetheart." Her mother said and she nodded.

"I'm shaking." She said as she looked whoever sitting in front of her.

"Take your time, no one is rushing you." Her father said. She then looked at her laptop screen intensely. She closed her eyes and then she clicked it. She opened her eyes slowly and her eyes teared up.

"Did you get in?" Her father asked and she nodded. She bursted into tears and her parents immediately came to hug her. I could see how her body was shaking and her father hugged her tightly.

"You did it!" Her mother said as she cupped her face smiling widely. Her mother kissed the top of her head.

Seeing it gave me a really weird feeling. I was happy for her that she really worked hard on it. She then showed to the camera the proof of her getting into Harvard. She smiled looking at the camera.

"Dalton, I did it." She whispered.

It hit me right into the core. Watching this videosnd heard her saying that while looking at the camera hit different. It felt like a message to me proving that she indeed capable of following me yo Harvard.

"I'm going to Harvard and stand in front of Dalton proudly. I wonder what's his reaction would be?" She looked up.

"I think he would be happy for you." I heard her father said.

"You think so?" She was still shaking.

"Yeah, he would be happy for you. I will regret looking down on you, sweetie." I heard her mother said and then she looked at the camera.

"I will find you on the day of the orientation, Dalton." With that the video stopped. I opened the next file which was a screenshot of the acceptance letter and then some proofs of airplane tickets. There's even some photos of her packing.

I opened the last photo in the folder and it was me in the soccer field in Harvard. I was standing in the middle of the field with a Harvard soccer uniform on smiling to my friends.

It was a big proof for me that she indeed went but never enrolled into Harvard.

But why?

What made her back out last minute? She worked so hard to get into Harvard and even went there. She saw me in that field but what exactly made her back off.

I dialed Callie's number.

"Hello." Callie answered.

"Hey Callie, I want to ask you something."

"What is it? Wait! Isn't it.. so late in Paris?" She asked and I looked at the clock.

"Yeah."

"What? What is it?"

"Can I.. know the reason why Ellie didn't enroll Harvard?" I asked in a really careful tone. I heard Callie letting a long sigh.

"I think you should ask her yourself. I don't have the rights to tell you."

"But-"

"Listen, Dalton." Callie cut me.

"I don't know why you're suddenly curious about this but.. you should just forget it. I really don't understand why she would like someone like you who clearly is not a great guy to begin with."

"I didn't do anything! I just told her to follow me to Harvard." I said completely not liking the fact that Callie blaming me.

"Just stay out of her life, she deserves better." With that Callie ended the call.

Why do everyone keep saying that? That she deserves better.

I need to find out what exactly made her not enrolling into Harvard. I'm so fucking damn curious about it because I hate everyone for accusing me that I'm the bad guy here.

I only asked her to come to Harvard and she did get in.

Why is everyone blaming me for encouraging someone to do their best?