Prologue

I was in my room playing with my dolls.

The distant noise of an electric screwdriver came from the backyard and the smell of my mommy's cooking filled the air. It was a normal summer's day but little did we all know it would come to be the worst day of all our lives.

A loud shriek came from downstairs.

I froze, scared of why my mommy would scream like that. I got up and walked down the hall and ended up running down the stairs when I heard the front door slam. I jumped the final 2 steps and turned to run down the hall to the kitchen.

My dad came running through the backdoor, turned looked in the kitchen, looked back at me, and said,

"Stay right there" the sternness in his voice scared me, not even when I had been in big trouble did he use such a stern voice. I knew he could be scary and intimidating but mommy and I only really saw his goofy, and funny side.

I did as I was told and stayed right there in my spot. I heard police sirens and a second later my dad came around the corner back into the hall.

He was covered in blood. It was on his hands and face but mainly on his chest.

"Daddy!" I cried and started to run toward him.

"I-I'm fine baby, stay there" He choked out and darted back into the kitchen

"Police, please open up, we have reports of a woman screaming, are you ok ma'am." the man asked.

Why wasn't mommy saying anything? "Mommy?!" I yelled, getting scared. The pounding on the door got more persistent and I started to cry. "MOMMY?!" the door flew open and a police officer walked through the door holding a gun, he lowered it as he saw me.

"Where's your mommy?" he asked, kneeling down in front of me but before I would answer he was back on his feet with the gun raised and pointing behind me. "Hands where I can see them," he barked.

I turned and saw my dad raise his hands "please she's been stabbed, please help."

The officer called in for backup and an ambulance. He handcuffed my dad and made him sit at the dining room table before trying to help my mommy but he was too late.

After I heard him say she was gone, everything was just a blur. I have a vague memory of my dad yelling at him to save her and that she was fine.

More policemen came in and one policewoman took me to the front yard and gave me a light pinky rabbit stuffy. She was trying to distract me. The only clear memory I have of the rest of the day is when dad came out with 2 police officers dragging him to a squad car.

"I didn't do this! I would never hurt her, you have to believe me! Please!"

I tried to run forward but the CPS worker that had arrived wrapped an arm around me and started trying to coax me into her car.

I started to scream and yell for my dad. "Daddy' I cried

His head whipped in my direction, pushed the officers off, and started running towards me "don't touch her! Leave my baby alone, you can't do this," he growled. The next thing I know he's on the ground being tased.

"Daddy!" I screamed. The CPS worker no longer trying to coax me into the car picked me up, buckled me into a car seat, and shut the door.

I don't remember much more, I guess I blocked it from my memory.

Dad eventually got me back but by then I was damaged. I wasn't his little princess anymore, I was too broken and sad to believe in his fairytales.