Chapter 2 - A Trip to Dad

I got up early this morning to catch the first bus headed to my hometown and the jail where my dad was being held. It's been a few weeks and I miss him so much. I didn't bother telling anyone I planned to visit him until after I leave since my last foster families never let me visit him in jail outside of the mandatory visits.

As I was slipping out the front door Alex and Dylan came jogging up the driveway.

"Where are you off to this early?" Alex asked while smiling at me.

"Oh, I'm just headed out to explore."

"Ok, well if you wait for me to shower I can drive you to the mall or something and we can show you 'round." Alex said

"No, it's fine, really."I said a bit to quickly

Dylan narrowed his eyes at me "where are you really going?"

"I-"

"No lies," Alex said

"I'm going to see my dad" I muttered

"Oh," he looked awkward "wait isn't he like a 2-hour drive away from here?"

"Yeah, there's a bus headed that way, it leaves in a few minutes so I have to go."

"Nope, I'll take you, the bus will take you at least 3 hours and that's if you're lucky." Dylan said while grabbing my arm lightly.

"No really, it's fine."

"No, it's not fine. we don't mind and don't worry we'll entertain ourselves while you guys talk, I don't have any plans today anyway. just give us 5 to shower." he jogged inside

"No really it's fine. I don't need you to drive me."

"Not taking no for an answer" Alex called over his shoulder

They made Daniel -who was already inside and showered after their run- babysit me to make sure I didn't try and take the bus. This was so embarrassing I didn't want any of them to see the shitty town I grew up in let alone be around the jail. 

---

"Hey daddy," I said softly into the phone

"Hi baby, how are you? Your foster family is still treating you right, right?" he asked. He called me once before I came here today so I had already told him a little bit about the people I had met.

"I'm fine dad, and yeah, they're pretty great actually. Annoying but in a good way I guess. the twins and their friend Daniel drove me here today."

"Good, how's school goin'?"

"School is school, all my teachers seem pretty nice and the kids have your typical cliche clicks they fall into. My classes aren't hard and most of them I have with one twin or the other or even both for P.E... The guys made me sit with them at the football table at lunch. They even yelled at one of the cheerleaders and told her not to mess with me when she tried to make me feel uncomfortable sitting here.

"The whole football team and the cheerleaders sit around in a close cluster of tables but Alex, Dylan, Oliver, Daniel, and their friends Eric, David, Ella, and Sadie were all sitting around one table with me thrown into the middle of it. Claire the head cheerleader cornering me in the hall and threatening me to stay away from the boys because they were "her's and her friend's" That bitch really has a few screws loose."

My dad chuckled, "Langueage little miss. Now tell me more about these people what are Alex, Dylan, Oliver, and the others like?"

We chatted about my new family and school and the interesting people he had met but when we ran out of things to talk about he said