Chapter 6 - My Girl

Daniel's Pov:

It was hard talking about my mom last night with Katey, but I'm glad I did; I wanted her to know. I didn't tell her anything about how I lost my mom but we did touch on the subject and I learned she had lost her mom as well but she didn't go into details either. that was a heavy conversation for another day.

I'm driving right now to pick her up for the night; then, we will go hang out at my house.

"Hey princess," I said, kissing her deeply when she hopped up in my truck.

"Hey, Dani. How was practice?"

"Exhausting, Coach had me doing laps the entire time as punishment for being late" I reached over and poked her rib since she was the reason I was late. We were making out in the janitor's closet and lost track of time.

She laughed and leaned away from my poking hand "it's not my fault! You started it!" she squealed, being unable to escape my tickling.

"Didn't start it; how could I not sneak away when you looked that good?" I chuckled and started to drive away

"Bullshit, I'm wearing your bagging sweatshirt and leggings!"

"Yeah, and you look fucking good in my shit" I smirked at her.

She flushed and whispered, "shut up," which had me laughing for most of the short ride to my house.

When we got to my house, we just curled up in bed and snuggled.

It kinda scares me how much I like her.

Not just how fast I fell for her but how strong my feelings for her are already. I love hearing her laugh and talking to her all night. I don't even care when I get in trouble with couch for being late as long as I was late because I was with her.

It kills me to not be able to tell the world she's my girl, but I'm afraid of how the guys will react to me dating her. I mean, they really see her as their sister and have been scaring away guys who flirt with her and shit. Which makes it a bit easier for me to make guys back the fuck off but still.

Then there is also my dad. He doesn't think I should be "wasting my time" on girls or anything that isn't football, football, football.

I hate that he has taken the fun out of football for me.

I used to play because I loved it, and then I played because my mom always said I would be her little football star when I was older. I wanted to go pro, for her but now I hate the game. He makes me feel like such a disappointment, and my heart isn't in these games anymore.

I just dread listening to my dads' rants rather than celebrate a huge win.

There's a game tomorrow, and I don't want to think about it, but I'm struggling to think of anything else. The scout from UCLA and Oregon State will be there; my top two choices.

UCLA has a great team, but I feel like I could do more as a player at Oregon; Katey will be there, and although I didn't tell her, my mom went to Oregon State, and I kinda always wanted to go there too; at least since she died.

"Dani?" Katey whispered

"Yes, princess?" I whispered back,

"What's going on in that big head of yours?"

"So you admit it, I am smart!" I avoided answering.

"I believe airheads have pretty big heads, so..."

"Touche," I muttered back and snuggled into her hair.

"Now that that's out of the way, are you going to answer my question, or are you going to keep avoiding my question?"

"Just thinking about the game, the big two will be there tomorrow."

"You'll do great, Dani. I know you will."

"Thanks, baby" I kissed her and tried to go to sleep.

---

"Daniel, Get your head out of your ass and into the game!" Eric smacked me upside the head.

Luckily it was just warm-ups, but I was so anxious I was playing worse than I think I ever have.

Soon enough, it was game time. While the national anthem was being sung, I tried to calm down and start thinking straight.

While the teams were going over last-minute game plans, I sat down and prayed to my mom for help impressing the scouts. I needed all the help I could get, and she was always my biggest fan.

Although I looked out at the crowd and spotted my girl in my jersey jumping up and down with Oliver, Sadie, and Ella holding the sign she had made. "22, you got this!" it read.

I smiled and got up to join the boys as they ran out onto the field to start the game.

---

We won 45-27, and that's something to be proud of. I definitely played my best tonight, despite how I was playing in practice. I got my head on straight, and I was right where I needed to be at the right moments.

I just hope the scouts feel that way too.

Katey nearly tackled me when she got to us.

"What no love for us? No poster, no jersey wearing', no love," Alex said dramatically, looking over at Dylan and back to Katey.

"You two didn't have two college scouts come out just to see you play," Sadie pouted out, "and what am I? Chopped liver? I'm wearing your jersey, Alex."

"Why is that again?" Eric said, eyeing Alex suspiciously,

"Because my asshole of a big brother gave his away to Jess this week."

"So? Go in a school shirt," Eric grumbled.

"That's lame! I'd be the only friend here not wearing a player's jersey!"

"Oliver isn't wearing a player's Jersey," Eric pointed out.

"Dude, mines under the jacket, plus I'm not a chick, so there isn't the status that comes with wearing a players jersey,"

"Whatever," Eric grumbled.

As we were all leaving, we heard a dreaded voice from the crowd. "'Ey Eric, hope you know this was just a fluke, your shit ass team got lucky." Jackson spat bitterly.

"Green isn't your color Jackson; it doesn't suit you." I shot over my shoulder as I moved to stop Eric from lunging at him.

"What? giving fashion advice now dyke, shouldn't be surprised."

Before I could speak, Ella snapped at him, "just cause you can't get a girl to willingly be within a 50ft radius of you doesn't mean others do."

Jackson looked pissed, but I noticed a bit of a tinge of pink on his cheeks, indicating she had gotten to him. "You seem quite willing to get in my personal space. Why don't I show you why girls come running to me."

If looks could kill, Jackson would be dead, and David would be ensuring the body was never found.

"You guys coming?" Sadie yelled from on top Alex's shoulders in the parking lot. We all hurried to catch up with Dylan, Alex, Oliver, and Sadie to head home. 

I needed my Katey time, my dad's comments throughout the game wear nagging in the back of my head and I hope the scouts didn't hear him or at least didn't take his opinion as worth a shit.