Chapter 1 - Meeting the Family

Riding in my social worker's car, driving to my new foster family is nerve-wracking.

My dad got busted while smuggling various drugs for his boss and was given a little over a year's jail time. While I am sent to spend the next 6 months with a foster family and after that, I'm on my own since I'll be 18.

My only hope is that these people are better than the last few families I've stayed with.

We pulled into the driveway of a large house and as I walked up the walkway to the front door I couldn't help but notice how immaculate the property was.

Great, I'm the charity case again.

The door flew open as I raised my finger to ring the bell.

"Oh, welcome, come in, come in. We are sooo happy to have you! I'm Marry and my husband Jim is just in the basement getting the boys, we have a bit of a game room down there."

"Um, hi," I said nervously.

"Oh, you are just so beeeeautiful! It'll be so nice to have another girl in the house! JIM! SHES HERE, HURRY UP!" she shouted over her shoulder. "Are you hungry or thirsty? I'm making steak and potatoes for dinner in an hour or so but I'd be happy to make you a snack."

"Um, I'm good thank you"

"Here they are, this is my husband Jim" she gestured to the tallest of the men. "And here is Alex and Dylan, their twins and are my second oldest, my eldest is away at college his name's Ryker. This is my youngest, Oliver and this is my honorary 5th child Daniel, he's friends with the twins and is always hanging around." Mary said in what seemed to be only one breath.

"Hi," I said with a small wave at them all. Fuck, that last guy's hot. I mean they all kinda are but he's a new level.

"Boys this is Katelyn, she's going to be staying with us."

"Nice to meet you," Jim said

"Yeah, nice to meet you," I think it was Oliver who spoke.

"Hi," the twins said waving Wildly. Daniel smiled and nodded in my direction.

"Well I'll show you, your room and you can get settled before dinner." Marry Said excitedly. "The boys can help you with your bags." She smiled looking at the door as if she thought my social worker was getting them from the car or something. When in reality she left already.

I felt my cheeks heat up and looked at my feet. hoisting my backpack over my shoulder and holding the small duffle bag tighter. "It's fine, t-this is all I have."

Her smile faded slightly "oh, well, this way" she said her smile widening again. As we walked up the stairs she said "gives us a good excuse to go on a shopping spree before school starts on Monday."

I gave a weak smile in return.

"This one right here is yours. We can decorate it however you like. We didn't know how old you would be so when I decorated I tried to not make it too grown up but you know not like a little kids' room either."

"I'm sure whatever you did will be just fine" I smiled.

She opened the door into the room and led me in. I looked around and tried to keep my face neutral but the room was very pink. It had light pink walls and white furniture, the curtains and bedspread were frilly and white with pink accents. I have had a bland room since I was 6 years old so this is taking it to a whole new extreme.

"I know it's a bit girly and I did mean it we can change it to whatever you like, I won't be offended or anything. I just always wanted a girl so I went a bit overboard when we got the go-ahead to foster."