Chapter 12 - Mean to Me

Daniel's Pov:

I jogged down the hall towards the locker rooms. I was running late because I lost track of time making out with Katey in my car.

Worth it,

I knew Coach wasn't going to take any excuses this time, and I could hardly tell him the truth.

He'd kill me!

"Daniel, where the hell were you?" Coach shouted at me.

"Sorry, Coach, I lost track of time,"

"Well, I'll give you a good lesson in timeliness today. Go warm up with the rest,"

Shit, I got off easy. I thought to myself as I hurry out to the field with the rest.

I was sure this was where he would kill me, with or without the truth.

He's been lenient since he found out I was going out with Katey. He liked her and says she's good for me, and the team but mostly me.

He did tell me he'd skin me alive if I was late again.

He started making groups to work out and practice together... my name was not included in any of those groups,

"and you," he said, turning to me. "You're going to run up and down those bleachers, standard bleacher workout times 2." he said as he held up 2 fingers and I gapped at him. "Take a 5-minute break before your second round."

Fucking hell, that bleacher run sucks ass to do just once.

The workout consisted of 2 minutes of running up and down the bleachers, then a 60-second break, then 3 minutes up, 1-minute rest, 4 minutes up, 1-minute rest, then repeat in reverse 4, 3, 2.

I went to start my workout of death, but he stopped me.

"One more thing," he stopped me and smirked evilly before turning to Katey, who was sitting innocently on the bleacher, doing her homework. "Since I assume this is your fault Kate." he turned back to me, "carry her." he smiled.

"WHAT!" I yelled. She's not exactly heavy but carrying her while I sprint was going to suck ass.

"You heard me now, GET GOING."

I grumbled profanities under my breath as I jogged over to Katey, who was looking between Coach and me in disbelief. I hoisted her up, and she wrapped her arms and legs around me so that I was only keeping her balanced with my arms rather than holding her weight.

"If you drop me, I will kill you," she grumbled in my ear.

"Kill him," I said and started the workout.

"I plan to" she grumbled before shouting "If he drops me, I'm going to kick your ass, Coach!"

"I'd like to see you try, sweetheart," Coach chuckled without turning back towards us.

After finishing each run, I sat with her for my glorious minute of rest.

Once the first set was done I was openly shouting profanities at Coach and hoping he'd just kill me rather than make me do the second set. I sat and caught my breath during my 5-minute break but made sure to keep my damn legs moving lest the lactic acid seep in.

At the end of my second to last run up the bleachers, I tripped and fell into the grass with Katey.

I gave up and just lay there.

I did let her wiggle out from under me, though.

Kinda didn't want to but she said she couldn't breathe so...