Chapter 3 - Rants and Jerseys

We were all sitting on the bleachers eating our lunch and Eric was venting about his day yesterday

"It had already been a long ass day at school and I had to be at work with dad practically right after school. Of course, I had to pick up the girls from the middle school which gets out later us. Plus I had to drop them off at their ballet practice.

"I was late to work by a few minutes because I had to drive back to the dance studio to drop off Sadies Ballet bag, which she left in the back seat... again. I ended up getting an ear full over the phone for it from dad. To make matters worse for myself, I had to leave 20 minutes early so I could pick the girls up from the cafe near their dance studio and get them to their 4-H meeting on time.

"After their meeting, I took them home and made a late dinner for us all. Ella wanted to help, but I made her go outside and take care of the animals while I made dinner. And after all that, we still had fucking homework. I'm tired of getting yelled at, I'm doing the best I can." he had his face in his hands.

"I'm sorry man," Daniel said clasping his friend's shoulder

"You weren't kidding when you said you had a shit day" Alex laughed. Eric looked up at him and then flipped him the bird which only made Alex laugh harder. Eric got up and tackled him into the grass. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Alex yelled but he was still laughing and Eric was smiling. "Ok uncle, UNCLE," Alex yelled loudly after Eric fully got the better of him and pinned his hand behind his back

Eric got up and Daniel said "I've told you not to piss him off," as he helped Alex up.

"Yeah, but it's soooo fun though."

Eric pretended like he was going to tackle Alex again but just laughed when Alex squealed and flinched, covering his face.

Boys are so weird.

I have learned a lot about this friend group. Like how Eric had been taking care of his little sister since she was a baby and how his parents owned the Copperfield industries, which is one of the biggest companies in the car manufacturing industry. it engineered tech and safety features for all the biggest car brands, from Dodge to Tesla and Volkswagon.

I'm sure his parents were busy people, but that shouldn't mean they left their son to raise his younger sister.

He also has done a lot of the raising of Ella since she was about 8 and her parents stopped caring about her. Apparently, her parents were practically strangers living under one roof and treated her as an afterthought and doted on her sister Tara's every pathetic accomplishment.

I already knew Tara to be a selfish brat who thought the world revolved around her. She threw a temper tantrum the other day for no known reason. I was there, I saw it happen, she looked like a toddler, screaming her lungs out and stopping her feet with her fingers in her ears, but Ella still tried to help her sister. She even resorted to doing Tara's homework for her.

Eric told us this morning to be extra sensitive with Ella today since apparently when he dropped her off at her parents and waited to see their reactions when they heard that Ella had gotten straight A's for the trimester and had been accepted into the National Honors Society.

She was so happy, and they ruined it. They had turned to her and looked pleased when she told them but only spared her a few seconds of their attention before going back to cooing at Tara, who had passed all her classes this trimester for the first time. Her parents took Tara out for a special dinner to celebrate later that night and left Ella at home.

I felt so bad for her.

"Kate! You coming tonight?" Dylan asked pulling me from my thoughts of all I have learned in the last few days.