Chapter 5 - Sneaking around

Katelyn's Pov:

"Daniel! Give it back" I yelled as I ran after him and Alex. They stole my backpack and were running up and down the football field throwing things out of it, well Alex was but Daniel was the one holding the bag.

"Why would I do that?" he asked turning. "Oh shit," he said as I jumped on him. Since he wasn't expecting it and had turned to look at me mid-stride I tackled him to the ground.

"HA!" I said pulling the bag from his hand and getting up.

"Fuck we should get her on the football field with a tackle like that!" Alex said while laughing. I punched his arm "Fuck, why did you do that?"

"That's for throwing my shit everywhere."

"I wasn't expecting it, she was closer than I thought. She can't tackle me when I'm expecting it!" Daniel whined while he got to his own feet.

"Sure babe," I said in a pacifying voice

"You couldn't!"

"Bet" Dylan called

"You're on, come at me princess," Daniel said and slapped his chest with both hands.

I backed up a was to give myself enough momentum then ran at him and threw all my weight into his chest as I tried to tackle him again. He had to move his foot back to brace himself and let out a gasp of air when I hit his stomach but he didn't even kinda tip over.

"No fair," I whined while pouting against his chest, still in my tackle position which turned into more of a hug. I could practically hear him roll his eyes before he said,

"Oh no, you got me!" in a dramatic voice, and let himself fall backward. I squeaked as we fell to the ground and he, Dylan, and Alex laughed at me.

"Are you loser's ready to go?" Eric asked as he walked over.

"Yeah, yeah we're coming," Alex said and offered a hand to me to help me up.

"Wait where are you going?"

"Jess's birthday party," Alex said in a duh tone "Your coming right?"

"Um, no thanks"

"Oh come on, we're all going," Daniel said

"Fine, I'll go but I don't want to stay too late," I said only because it would be nice to hang out with Daniel and not have to sneak around so much.

"Ok, let load up then," Eric said and him Dylan and Alex jogged of towards the parking lot.

"I'll see you out there, princess. I promised to stay and make sure the girls got home alright, their all going to get everything set up now," Daniel told me.

"Oh, could I hitch a ride with you instead?"

"Of course," he said. I texted Dylan and told him I would head out with Daniel later.

"What do you have going on for the rest of the afternoon?"

"Besides picking the girls up I don't have anything. No way am I staying at school while everyone else ditches."

"Wanna go do something together?"

"Of course, let's go, princess," we walked to his truck and went to the mall to entertain ourselves.

---

"Favorite.... Ice cream flavor?" I asked

"Um... depends if I'm buying at a shop I usually like something seasonal but if I'm buying a half-gallon of it then I like vanilla 'cause you can add anything into it depending on what you feel like. You?"

"I'm boring I just like vanilla but I totally feel the same. When I'm at home I'll mix cocoa powder in my ice cream sometimes, or I'll crush up candy canes and sprinkle it on top in the winter."

"Right?" Daniel chuckled

"ok your turn"

"Um, favorite.... Boardgame."

"Um, does chess count? I used to play with dad sometimes but that is the only board game I've really played, at least that I remember..." I trailed off when I realized I had made it a bit awkward

Daniel just smiled "Yeah, that counts. I'll have to dig out the Thomas's old board and challenge you. I was always partial to Candyland myself," he smirked proudly.

Daniel's phone rang and he answered it as soon as he saw the caller ID

"Daniel, I need a favor" Sadies voice came through the other end before he could even say hello.

"Oh, full name this must be good, Spill Lil sis" Daniel smiled, Sadie always just called him D. Saying Daniel was too serious a name for him, which she wasn't wrong about.

"I need you to take me home after you drop Ella off at practice and I need help feeding all the fur babies at home."

"Ookaayy... why?"

"Because Ella and I are going to that party tonight and I need to get Ella's chores out of the way before I can convince her to come with us."

"Oh no, no, no I was specifically told NOT to bring you two, it's no place for kids."

"We're not kids anymore D," she whined

"Yeah, you're a big kid now," he said.

"Will you help or not?" she stated flatly and I could visualize the glare, pout face she had on right now.

"Fine but if Eric finds out you are at the party then the story is you two hid out in the back of my truck and I had no clue, yes?"

"Pushover" I mouthed to him and he winked.

"Deal," Sadie said excitedly.

"See you soon Lil sis"

"Thanks, D, love you!" she made a bunch of kissy noises before hanging up

"You caved way too fast,"

"Oh come on it's the perfect distraction for you and me to slip away!"

I rolled my eyes but smiled at him. "I'll help you guys feed everyone"

"Thanks, princess, hey I've got a nickname for you, why don't you call me anything?"

"what do you like to be called?"

"well I like it when Sadie calls me D but that's kinda her thing."

"alight so you want me to give you a pet name or call you something based on your name?"

"whichever you like better."

"I've always wondered why you don't go by Dani, I think I'll call you that."

he smiled softly "yeah, I like that"

---

After feeding all the animals, which was a lot more complicated than I would have thought; we headed out to the party. We sang loudly to the music on the radio and joked around the whole way there.

"Remember what I told you, I didn't let you come here if Eric catches you, you hid in my truck bed," Daniel said while we all crawled out and started walking over to the bonfire they had going out in the front yard of the lake house.

We all separated for the short term but it wasn't long before the girls were spotted and Eric was searching for Daniel. 

Dani came and found me and we snuck out into the woods surrounding the lake. He had grabbed a blanket from his truck before finding me we laid it down in a small clearing and snuggled up against each other, looking up at the stars.

We sat and chatted about our families for a little, made out a little, and just lay there looking at the stars. It seemed like no time at all had passed when it was past midnight and we had to start heading home. Spending time with Dani always seems to be like that.