Chapter 22: Why move?

I reached the front of my house, listening to music on my earphones. I opened the door and closed it behind me. I was walking
through the hallway on my way to my room when I felt an arm on my shoulder.

"Ugh, what now?" I groaned turning back meeting the eyes of my mom.

She said something but I didn't hear her because of the loud music booming from my earphones. I brought them down from my ears and rested them on my shoulders.

"What?" I asked her.

"I've been calling your name but you didn't answer me." She said.

Is she blind or something? Didn't she see me with my earphone?

"Okay, now I'm listening to you." I said, not really listening.

"Young lady-" She was saying when I interrupted her.

"Young lady?" I asked repeating what she just said.

She raised a brow in a questioning manner.

"Well let me tell you something Candice-" I said looking deep into her eyes.

"Um, excuse me." A familiar voice said making me turn around. It was Jack and he looked worried.

"What!" I barked at him.

"Hey, hey, I am only trying to settle the dispute between mother and daughter." He said putting his hands up in the air.

"I'm sorry she yelled. She's been a little emotional this days." Mom apologized.

I just stood there crossing my arms across my chest, not feeling sorry one bit.

"Dispute?" I scoffed. "Why are you even here?" I asked him, glaring at him.

"You told me to come, remember?" He asked.

When I didn't reply, he continued.

"'Go meet Candice.'" He said mimicking me.

"Stop! That's not how I should. Not even close." I yelled at him.

"That aside, tell me, why are you moving?" He asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Me?" I asked him. "Why don't you ask Candice? I bet she'd be delighted to answer that." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Stop calling me by my name!" Mom or Candice said raising her voice at me.

"Don't raise your voice at me old woman." I warned, stepping forward. That moment, I felt an arm pull me back.

"Calm down, you're still angry. I think walks don't work on you anymore, you've out grown it." Jack said trying to keep me away from mom.

"Let go of me." I said, trying to get out of his grip.

"Calm down. You don't want to go do something you'd regret latter on." He said.

"Regret?" I scoffed. "I don't ever regret any of my decisions." I said turning back to walk away, but stopped when I heard mum say something.

"Don't you regret... Maddie's death?" My mum's voice kept on repeating in my head like a broken tape recorder. I turned around slowly meeting my mum's eye they held regret in it, like she didn't mean to say what she just said.

"What did you just-?" I started saying through gritted teeth. I was interrupted when an arm pulled me away from her, to my room. Then I heard the door shut and the clicking of the lock.

"Don't tell me were going to hit her!" Jack yelled at me, running a hand through his hair in a frustrated manner.

"I won't tell you then." I said pacing front and back in my room, why Jack sat on my bed watching me.