Cahpter 27: Broken flower vases

I woke up to the sound of two people talking. It was a male's ans a female's voice. It sounded like they were arguing about something. Well, can't they argue quietly. Someone's trying to sleep.

I used to do back of my palm to rub my eyes. "Hahhh!" I yawned, stretching my body.

Who's this sensible being that is smart enough to argue in the morning. It's just... Wait, is that mom and dad's voice?

I flew out of bed as if I were an acrobat and sprinted out of my room, down the hallway as if a ticking bomb was about to explode. I ran to their room so fast that I forgot to knock. Immediately both heads turned to look at me. Mom was glaring at me, probably expecting me to go out and knock before entering.

I just ignored her gaze and ran towards dad, engulfing him in a tight hug.

"Angel," he said tapping my shoulders. "Angel, I can't breathe."

"Sorry." I said, letting him go. "Good morning mom, dad." I greeted them both.

"Good morning my dear." Dad replied.

Mom didn't say anything, but I'm used to her childish nature. I'm sure she's still mad at what I told her yesterday.

"You're in a good mood today. What happened?" He asked, smiling at me.

"Shouldn't I be happy?" I asked him. "Or let me guess, as a Smith, I don't have the right to be happy anymore?" I asked him another question, not giving him the chance until the first one.

He cleared his throat. "You do, you do." He repeated.

"And besides my favourite dad is back." I said, teasing dad.

"Don't you have just one dad?" Mom asked me.

"Joy killer." I muttered under my breath.

"What did you say?" Mom asked.

"Nothing." I replied.

"I heard you. I am not a joy killer. In fact, I make the best jokes like... Er... Um ..." Mom said at a loss for words.

"You are just jealous I don't acknowledge your presence." I said, sticking my tongue out at her. I heard a faint chuckle coming from dad.

"That would be the last thing I would be." Mom scoffed, crossing arms above her chest and sticking her nose in the air, in a childish manner.

"Right." I said sarcastically. "So that why didn't you return last night?" I asked, turning towards dad. He was still laughing that he didn't even hear my question.

"Dad." I called him, but he was still laughing. "Dad!" I said with a louder voice.

"What?" He asked looking so confused that I almost started laughing.

"I asked why you didn't return home yesterday." I said repeating my question as I took sat on the bed.

"I was just busy at work. My friend Frank was on night shift and had some other personal issues to settle back at home. So I have to cover for him." Dad said. Sorry I didn't tell you guys that he was a doctor. But still, this is the first time he stayed out at night. It really got me worried.

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"Your father is tired and used to rest. You should give him some time to freshen up." Mom said.

"Okay, bummer." I said before standing up and leaving.

I proceeded to my house chores. After making sure the house is sparkling clean, I headed back to my room. On the way back something caught my attention. It was mom and dad talking again.