Useful Squib

Meanwhile, miles away from Little Hangleton, Abraxas Malfoy and Clytemnestra Black were entering a small cave by the seaside. Abraxas had his wand out, and Clytemnestra clutched a piece of parchment in her hands.

     "It's too dark in here," she muttered. "I can't make it out." Abraxas chuckled. "Lumos," he intoned, and suddenly the cave was quite bright. "Thanks, Brax," Clytemnestra said, giving her younger brother a smile, then looked back down at the parchment. "The directions say to smear blood on the rock face over there."

     Abraxas looked over to where she was pointing and nodded. "Did you bring the phial of blood?" Clytemnestra pulled said phial from beneath her robes and handed it over. "Are you sure this will work?" Abraxas asked, scrutinising the blood dubiously. '"I should have thought we'd have to cut ourselves."

     Clytemnestra sniffed. "Don't ask me. I'm only a Squib. But Aries said it would work this way, and he's the one with supernatural access to the Dark Lord's memories." "Who am I to question Slytherin's Heir?" her brother replied drolly. He stepped over to the rock face and smeared all the blood over it.

     "No, wait!" Clytemnestra shouted, but it was too late. The door appeared. Once they had passed through, Clytemnestra swatted Abraxas's shoulder. "You idiot," she snapped. "You weren't supposed to use all of it now. How are we going to get back?"

     Abraxas appeared nonplussed. "I suppose we shall have to cut ourselves after all. It's fortunate that I brought my knife." "Don't expect me to join you, Abraxas Hippocrates Malfoy," Clytemnestra muttered. "I don't much care for the idea of getting cut. I might well faint."

      "Have no fear, Nestra," her brother replied. "I've more than enough blood for the both of us." They used the directions to locate the small boat and bring it to the surface. Aries had warned them that, though they would need two people to obtain the Horcrux, only one powerful wizard or witch could fit in the boat at a time. It was this feature of Voldemort's defences that had made Clytemnestra's presence so necessary. For the first time in her life, she was actually grateful to be a Squib.

     Abraxas, ever the gentleman, helped his sister into the boat, then they floated across the lake. On the other side, they reached a small, rocky island, on which sat a large bowl, filled with a poisonous liquid. Abraxas handed his wand to his sister, pulled out a length of rope and tied himself to the pedestal on which the bowl rested, just as Aries had directed.

     "This ought to make it a bit easier for you to keep me from plunging into the water," he said ruefully as he tied the rope around his ample waist. "I seem to be quite a bit stouter than I was in my youth." "Are you certain you wouldn't rather have me drink the poison?" Clytemnestra said anxiously. "It would be easier for you to restrain me – I'm smaller, and you're stronger, not to mention you could use magic."

     "We've discussed this, Nestra," Abraxas replied adamantly. "The potion is very dangerous for wizards, but it might be fatal for Squibs. Have you the Elixir of Life?" Clytemnestra nodded, holding up a small crystal phial.

      "Very well, then." Abraxas plunged a goblet into the bowl and raised it before his eyes. "Aries and Draco," he said solemnly, then drained it to the bottom. As he continued to drink, Abraxas began alternately to shout angrily and to cry. He called out for his father and mother, for Iphigenia, for Regina, for Lucius. He called out for Aries and Draco, and Sirius as well. But most of all he called out for his sister, who stood beside him, gently stroking his back, just as she had done when they were children, whenever Abraxas was ill.

     "Help me, Nestra," he pleaded in a small voice as she forced yet another gobletful of the vile potion down his throat. "I don't like it."
"We're almost done," she whispered in a soothing voice. "Then we'll go home, and you'll be able to rest." When Abraxas had obediently drained all the liquid from the bowl, Clytemnestra snatched up the locket and thrust it into her pocket. Then she unstopped the Elixir of Life and poured it all into Abraxas's mouth. He immediately grew calm, but he was still less than helpful. She had to untie the rope herself, earning several blisters in the process, then help her brother into the boat. She perspired under the effort, but eventually she managed to pull the boat by its chain to the other side of the lake. She cut her hand with Abraxas's knife and wiped the blood on the wall. (She felt a bit light-headed, but she did not faint.) Only once they had safely left the cavern did she allow herself to collapse and catch her breath.

     Her brother's breathing gradually returned to normal, and soon he recovered full awareness. He stood up and stretched. "This is amazing!" he said. "I actually feel better than I have in ages. My gout isn't bothering me at all, and my joints aren't squeaking. I feel as though I could run a marathon."

     Clytemnestra smiled weakly. "It might do you some good." Her brother looked down at her with concern in his eyes. "Are you all right, Nestra?" he asked anxiously. "I'm fine," she replied, handing him back his wand. "I'm a tough old lady. I'll be perfectly all right once I've had a cup of tea and a nice, hot bath."

     Abraxas crouched down beside her. "Thank you, Nestra," he said quietly. "I've never appreciated you enough, you know, but you're one fine witch." He paused, furrowing his brow. "I'd understand if you don't want to, but I've been thinking. It's been quite lonely at Malfoy Manor now that Narcissa's moved to Windermere Court. Would you, perhaps, care to come back home, to take up your rightful place as the mistress of Malfoy Manor?"

     His sister's eyes glistened as she looked up at him. "Thank you, Brax," she said. "I should like that very much." Abraxas grinned and held out his hand. His sister took it, and he helped her to his feet. After checking one last time to make sure they hadn't left anything behind – Clytemnestra had abandoned the rope, but they both agreed it wasn't worth the price of retrieval – they joined arms and Abraxas led his sister outside and Apparated them back to Windermere Court.