The Curious Twin

Late that night, after everyone had gone to bed, Sirius slipped into Aries's room and sat on the edge of his bed. "Aries, are you awake?" Aries yawned, "I am now," he murmered. "We can talk tomorrow, if you'd rather," Sirius offered. Aries shook his head. "No, I'm up." He sat up in his bed. "Thanks for looking out for Draco earlier today," he said. "I think he's feeling left out." Sirius chuckled. "I noticed. I saw the way he was watching us at dinner. It reminded me actually of how envious I used to feel of James and his family. Mr. Potter did he best to make me feel at home, and I suppose the least I can do is try the same thing for Draco." He paused. "Harry, we need to talk about something else." Aries face fell, He knew it was too good to be true. "Don't worry. I know you're not my real father." He looked at Sirius earnestly. "I really appreciate your playing along. I don't want to go back to the muggles." "That's not what I meant, Aries," Sirius said. "In the first place, I want to make sure I know the whole story. Aunt Cassie explained most of it, but I don't know how much you've told her." Aries's eyes went wide. "Aunt Cassie knows? We haven't told her anything. How did she find out?" "She didn't tell me." "Why does she play along then?" Sirius smirked, "Let's just say that the fact that you vanquished Voldemort as a baby feeds her fantasies about your Dark power." "You said his name!" Aries exclaimed. "No one ever says his name." Sirius just shrugged. "Let's start from the beginning shall we?"

Aries explained how life had been at the Dursley's before the Squibs rescued him, and how they had disguised Aries using a potion. He talked about the past few years and how he appreciated his quirky family. He talked about Draco and the pranks they played. Sirius laughed at that. "It sounds like me and your dad," he said. "We did that sort of thing all the time." "I know dad," Aries said. "Uncle James told me. Where do you think we got the idea?" Sirius frowned. "I want you to remember that you are Harry James Potter, and that James Potter is your real dad. You can just call me Sirius when we're alone." Aries nodded. "I understand. You'll probably want children of your own some day. Real Children." Sirius looked at Aries strangely, and then laughed out loud. "That's not what I meant, Aries," He said fondly. "you're dad was the best friend I every had, and a wonderful man. It would feel too much like betraying him if I let you forget that you're really a Potter. I could never forgive myself." He put his hands on Aries's shoulder. "As for you though, I've loved you since before you were born, and I'm honored to have the opportunity to care for you." "Really?" Aries asked in a small voice. "Absolutely," Sirius replied. He chuckled. "In some ways, I feel guilty. You look like me, You use my name, It's like I've stolen you."

Aries looked surprised. "I never thought of it that way. I've just always wanted a real dad. The portraits are great and all, but..." he trailed off. "They get old after a while," Sirius finished for him. "They never change or grow." "Exactly. Once I accidentally went two whole days without talking to them, and they didn't even notice." "Of course they didn't," Sirius said.
They're designed that way." Aries shrugged, "I think that's when I realized the first time that they weren't real people, that my real dad was dead." "Well, I don't know how good I'll be at filling his shoes," Sirius said hesitantly. "He was a special man, but I'll do my best." Aries chewed his lower lip.

"Do you mind if I call you Dad, even when we're in private?" Sirius looked surprised. "Not at all, I thought you wouldn't want to. I'm just some stranger who's barged in your life after all." Aries laughed. "Hardly, I've been looking at your pictures and hearing stories about you since I was six. I used to dream that you'd come to live with us, and that we'd finally be a real family." He paused, "Sometimes I had nightmares thought, that you wouldn't want me." Sirius hugged Aries tightly. "Never think that Aries. Never think that." Aries chuckled, "It's just a stupid dream right? I used to have lots of dreams about an enormous black dog too. They say that's the Grim, and to dream of it is bad luck, but nothing bad ever happened." Sirius smiled. "Actually, Aries, in your case, I think the Grim is good luck." "Why's that?" "Can you keep a secret?" Sirius asked. Aries rolled his eyes. "Think about who you're talking to." Sirius laughed. "Good point." He transformed, then and there. Aries let out a small yelp, but then began to run his fingers through the dog's magnificent fur. He snickered. "Aunt Cassie's going to have kittens," he said with a grin. "She hates dogs."

The next day after breakfast Aries, Draco, Sirius, and Cassiopeia took a Portkey to Windermere Court, and then Flooed to Diagon Alley. The people passing by whispered as they walked along the street towards Ollivander's. Several people shot Sirius nasty looks, and one witch actually came up to him and started yelling before Cassiopeia blasted her out of the way with a flick of her wand. The sudden protests were deafening.

"Self-defense," Cassiopeia snarled at the angry crowd. "Next time I shan't be so gentle." The crowd reluctantly backed away. The quartet arrived at Ollivander's without further incident, and the elderly wandmaker greeted them profusely. "Ah, Miss Black, it is a delight to see you," he said, bowing. "Walnut, 12 inches, dragon heartstring, as I recall. Quite rigid." He turned to Sirius. "Mr. Black, what a surprise. I suppose you'll be wanting a new wand?"

Sirius nodded, and Ollivander began searching through boxes. It took a few tries, but the settled on a mahogany wand with a dragon heartstring core, 14 inches, and quite flexible. "Is there anything else I can do for you?" He asked politely. "Yes in fact," said Sirius. "We're also here to buy wands for my son and nephew." Ollivander furrowed his brow. "Are the boys eleven yet, Mr. Black?" "Not Yet," Sirius said calmly. "This is a most unusual request," Ollivander began, but stopped at Cassiopeia's death glare. "One I am sure we can accommodate," with a shaky tone.

He looked for Draco's wand first, and it didn't take long before the blonde boy was matched up with a 10 inch hawthorn wand with a unicorn hair core. Then Ollivander began to look for Aries's wand. It took a very long time, and they went through half the wands in the store, with the old wandmaker growing ever more excited as they failed to make a match. Finally, he handed Aries an 11 inch holly wand with a phoenix feather core. "Try this," he said eagerly. Aries took the wand, and instantly knew this was the right choice. Sparks flew and Ollivander applauded. "Very interesting, Mr. Black," he said thoughtfully. "Very interesting, indeed." "What's interesting?" Cassiopeia demanded. "You see, madam," Ollivander explained, "the phoenix whose feather is in this wand gave one other feather, just one. That wand went on to do many great things," He looked Aries in the eyes, and Aries felt a chill run up his spine. "How intriguing, that you should wind up with this particular wand, especially given the identity of its brother's owner." "Who owned the other wand?" Cassiopeia snapped. Olivander's gaze did not waver from Aries as he replied. "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."