Tattletail

Early the next morning, Hermione dragged Ron and Seamus back to their favorite abandoned classroom. "What is it this time?" Seamus yawned. "You could have let us have a bit of a lie-in. Even the Crafty Cousins aren't up yet." "And I know why," Hermione said smugly. "They were up late last night. They Apparated into the Common Room, even though no one can Apparate or Disapparate inside of Hogwarts." Ron scoffed at that. "There's no way they could have Apparated, Hermione. They're only eleven." The bushy-haired girl glared at him. "I know what I saw, Ron. Besides, I heard what Malfoy said after they Apparated. He asked Black how he did it."

"And what did Black say?" Seamus asked. Hermione took a deep breath. "He said that it was one of the many special powers he has because he's the Heir of Slytherin and the next Dark Lord." Both boys' eyes went wide in shock. "He actually admitted it?" Ron exclaimed. Hermione nodded soberly. "Right there in the Common Room." "Did he know you were there?" Seamus asked. "Mightn't he have been pulling your leg?" "He didn't know I was there," Hermione said. "I was behind an armchair picking up a book I'd forgotten when they Apparated in."

Ron collapsed in a rickety wooden chair that barely looked as if it could hold his weight. "Blimey," he exclaimed. "I knew they were trouble, but I never thought they'd admit it so freely." He shook his head. "They've been weaseling their way into our family too. Fred and George went over to the Blacks for Christmas. Mum was livid when she found out." "We've got to do something," Seamus said. "Maybe we could tell a teacher?" Ron sat up straight. "That's an idea. We could tell McGonagall."

Hermione shook her head pensively. "I like Professor McGonagall, but I'm not sure we can trust her. I went to complain to her after I saw her award Black House points for the Dark magic he used on the troll, and she told me to mind my own business." "If Black really is the next Dark Lord, we should go straight to the Headmaster," Seamus opined. Ron scoffed. "When? It's not like we have any lessons with him." "I think we should go to Professor Quirrell," Hermione said at last. "He is the Defense against the Dark Arts master." "Do you think he could handle a Dark Lord?" Seamus asked. "He seems a bit on the twitchy side."

Hermione sighed, conceding the point. 'I still think we should tell him. If he can't handle Black himself, at least he can take the matter to Dumbledore. The Headmaster would be more likely to listen to a teacher than a bunch of first-years. Hermione, being the dutiful girl she was, wasted no time in going directly to Professor Quirrell's office that same afternoon and knocking on his heavy oak door. "Excuse me, sir," she said nervously once he had let her inside. "I have something I need to discuss with you." "W-what is it, M-m-miss Granger?" he asked kindly.

"It's about Aries Black," she said. "I think he's up to something." "W-what m-makes you s-say that?" Hermione chewed her lower lip. "I overheard him and Malfoy talking the other night. They Apparated into Gryffindor Tower." "No one can Ap-p-parate inside Hogwarts, M-miss Granger," Quirrell corrected her. "L-least of all t-two f-first-years." "I know, sir, but I saw them appear out of nowhere," Hermione insisted. "Th-that is strange. Have y-you any idea how they m-managed it?" the Defense master asked.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, sir. They were talking, and Black commented that he had all sorts of powers because he was the Heir of Slytherin and the next Dark Lord." Quirrell's expression, which had been one of that sort of polite boredom with which an elderly relative might listen to a small child's fantastic story, abruptly shifted to one of intense interest. "What else did he say?" he asked eagerly. "Nothing, sir," Hermione said. "But I think he might be after the thing that's hidden in the third-floor corridor." Quirrell smiled indulgently, but his eyes flickered with concern. "What makes you think that there is anything hidden in the corridor?"

The Muggleborn girl raised an eyebrow. "It's not that hard to figure out, Professor. I don't know what it is exactly, but I don't want Black to steal it." "You're a very bright girl, Miss Granger," he said. "Ten points to Gryffindor. I shall investigate this matter thoroughly. If you hear anything else suspicious, please inform me." "Of course, sir," Hermione said, and left the room. She was so pleased at being taken seriously that she completely failed to notice that, for the last part of their conversation, Quirrell had forgotten to stutter.

After Aries and Draco had captured the Stone, neither boy gave it much more thought. The heist had been the main thing for both cousins, and though Aries had thought a good deal about what the Stone could do in the future, he had no pressing need to explore its powers as of yet. Draco handed it over to Aries without complaint, and Aries only stroked it fondly for a few minutes before merrily stuffing it in a sock and hiding it at the bottom of his trunk. Between their lessons and other activities, they almost forgot about the Stone altogether.

One day, on his way up from Potions, Aries accidentally bumped into Hermione Granger, knocking her books out of her arms and scattering them all over the stone floor. "I'm so sorry, Granger," Aries said, and Summoned all her books into a neat stack before handing them back to her. "Thanks," the Muggleborn girl mumbled. Aries decided to take advantage of the opportunity to put into practice some of the things Daphne had suggested. "By the way, Granger," he said, "we seem to have got off on the wrong foot. I'm sorry about that. I know it must be difficult for you coming into a new world where you don't understand how everything works. I should have offered to help you out."

Granger looked at him suspiciously. "What are you playing at, Black?" "Nothing," Aries said innocently. "I just realized we'd got off to a bad start and thought I'd try to make amends." Granger narrowed her eyes. "Are you trying to set me up for some prank, or is this something even worse?" "What do you take me for, Granger?" Aries asked in confusion. "I know what you and Malfoy are planning, and I don't intend to let you get away with it," the bushy-haired girl replied defiantly. Aries threw up his hands and backed away. "Fine," he said. "Have it your way. I shan't bother you again." He headed for the stairwell and left the suspicious girl behind him.