Rule Number Three

"Fred! Keep your eyes on the Bludgers!" Wood shouted. "That one nearly hit Alicia!" Aries rolled his eyes. The Gryffindor Quidditch team were practicing in a very heavy downpour. It was no wonder the Bludger had nearly hit Alicia—it was nearly impossible to see even to the edge of one's own broomstick. As for finding the Snitch, Aries might as well have been searching for a flea on a hippogriff.

They sat out in the rain for another half-hour before Wood finally conceded that it was time to them to go in. The team let out a collective sigh of relief at the announcement, and gathered up all the balls. Just as they landed, however, Katie Bell let out a screech. "It's a Grim!" she shouted, pointing towards an enormous black dog who sat in the stands, completely drenched by the falling rain. Aries laughed. "That's no Grim," he said. "That's my pet dog." "What's your dog doing at school, Aries?" George Weasley asked. "My dad must have brought him," Aries replied, setting off towards the stands. "I'll go see if he's around." "Shall we wait for you?" Fred asked. "Nah," Aries replied. "You go back up to the castle. I'll see you all later."

The rest of the team made the long trek back indoors, whilst Aries climbed up the steps to where Sirius was sitting. He was wearing a wide, doggy grin, and his tail was wagging vigorously. "What are you doing out here in the rain?" Aries asked, scratching his dad behind the ears.

Sirius let out a loud bark and leapt to his feet. He motioned for Aries to follow him with a jerk of his head. Aries sighed and set off after his father. Sirius led Harry to the Whomping Willow, where he crept on his stomach to the trunk and pressed a small knob. The Willow ceased its whomping, and Sirius led his son into a tunnel. "Where are we going, Dad?" Aries asked.

The dog barked once, but did not stop. Eventually they came to the end of the tunnel and passed through a trapdoor into an abandoned house. Sirius shook himself dry and transformed back into a human. "Welcome to the Shrieking Shack," he said. "I thought we could talk here for a bit. It brings back a lot of happy memories." "If you fancied a chat, why didn't you just collect me in the Great Hall like a normal parent?" Aries asked cheekily. "Because I'm not a normal, boring parent," Sirius replied, sitting himself down on a dusty sofa. "And this seemed like much more fun."

Aries smiled and sat down next to his dad. "All right, then. What did you want to talk about?" "First, I wanted to let you know that Aunt Cassie came down suddenly with a severe case of Cranial Cramps," Sirius began. Aries's eyes widened in concern. "Cranial Cramps? But those can be serious! Is she all right?" "She nearly died," Sirius said soberly. "But she's perfectly well now, thanks to Mopsy and the Elixir of Life she brought." "That's good," Aries said with relief, and then realized what exactly Sirius had said. "Oh. So that's why you want to talk." "Partly," Sirius replied. "Aries, when were you going to tell me that you'd stolen a Philosopher's Stone?" "How do you know I stole it?" Aries shot back defensively. "I might have made it. Why do you always jump to the worst conclusions?"

Sirius only sighed and looked at the boy sadly. "What's the third rule, Aries?" Aries looked down at his toes. "I'm sorry, Dad." He took a deep breath. "Yes, I took the Philosopher's Stone." "Why?" Sirius asked. "Did you and Draco think it would be a fun prank?" "That's why Draco went along with it," Aries replied. "But it was my idea. I wanted the Stone so that no one else in our family would ever have to die."

Sirius raised his eyebrows. He honestly had not expected that answer. "But Uncle Marius hadn't died yet when you took the Stone," he pointed out. "No, but both Great-Granddad and Great-Grandfather had died within a year of each other," Aries replied. "I didn't want to lose anyone else." "Why didn't you tell me, Aries?" Sirius asked. "I thought we trusted each other." "I suppose that part of me was scared that you'd make me give it back," Aries said quietly. "If the Flamels were still alive, you'd be right," Sirius said. "But they're gone, and I refuse to hand the Stone over to Dumbledore. He's dangerous enough without it." "I also didn't want too many people to know the secret," Aries said. "I thought that if too many people knew about the Stone it would attract attention."