The Funeral

The week Pollux died flew by in a dizzying blur for Aries. Monday started ordinarily enough. He and Draco went to their lessons with Aunt Cassie at Windermere Court before heading over to Grimmauld Place, where they found Sirius and Narcissa already waiting for them. Pollux was actually fairly lucid when they arrived, and conversed happily with his great-grandsons about Quidditch for half-an-hour before he slipped back into unconsciousness. The boys sat there with their great-grandmother for another forty-three minutes before Pollux died.

It was sudden. He was breathing fairly normally up until the last minute, then there was a strange gasping sound. Moments later, Pollux gave up the ghost. For one horrible minute it felt as though the world had ended, and then all hell broke loose. Irma was reduced to hysterics and had to be escorted by Narcissa to her boudoir in order to recover. Sirius took charge, summoned Kreacher and began issuing orders. The coroner arrived after an hour, and it seemed to Aries and Draco as though his arrival inaugurated an unending stream of visitors and paperwork. The boys wanted to help, but had no idea what was going on or what to do. Eventually Sirius kindly but firmly asked them to stay out of the way, and the boys obliged him.

That evening Clytemnestra took them to Windermere Court, where she kept both boys for the rest of the week, since Sirius was preoccupied with all the details of managing the funeral and Irma refused to allow Narcissa to leave her side. She baked them pies and read them books aloud, anything to keep the boys distracted. There were no lessons. Except for Clytemnestra, all the adults seemed constantly preoccupied with funeral preparations and legal details, letters and wills. No one expressly forbade the boys to play, but at the same time neither boy felt much like doing anything in particular. They spent most of the week reading, playing music together (Aries on the piano and Draco on the violin), practicing spells or playing chess.

On Friday evening the boys dressed in very hot dress robes made of black velvet in order to accompany the family to the closing of the casket at the Ministry. There were a number of boring speeches, of course. The Minister for Magic spoke at length about Pollux's many contributions to the wizarding world, followed by a load of wheezing waffle from Albus Dumbledore, whom Aries saw for the very first time. He had heard from his great-grandfather on many occasions about the long-standing enmity between the two wizards, but Dumbledore seemed perfectly happy to stand there and repeat half-hearted platitudes as though he had actually cared about Harry's Great-Granddad. It made Aries sick, and he had to step out in the middle of Dumbledore's speech. He couldn't explain exactly what it was about Dumbledore's behaviour that made him so angry, especially when he knew that the Minister's speech was equally insincere. All Aries knew was that Dumbledore was standing up there and lying to the world again, just as he had when he had told everyone that Harry was dead.

Eventually Aries composed himself and returned to the hall, where Sirius was thanking everyone on behalf of the family, since Arcturus was too ill to attend. Having mostly seen Sirius's playful, fun-loving side, Aries was surprised to see how easily Sirius had stepped into the role for which he had been raised. To his credit, Sirius did not repeat a single platitude and did not rehearse any of Pollux's notable achievements. Nor did he lie. Instead, Sirius spoke about Pollux's care for his family and the great affection he had shown his two great-grandsons, as well as briefly acknowledging his own personal debt to his grandfather. It was honest and quite dignified, and Aries was very proud of his dad.

After the short service, Aries and Draco had to wait around with the rest of the family and accept condolences. Clytemnestra had carefully prepared them for this arduous task, but both boys found it wearying. They had just sat down for a moment on a small sofa in the reception area when the Minister for Magic came over to greet them. Aries and Draco jumped to attention.

"Hello, boys," the Minister said. "Please allow me to express my deepest condolences on the death of your great-grandfather. Mr Black was a fine man." "Thank you, Minister," the boys mumbled. "Now, what are your names, again?" the Minister asked in a kindly voice. "I'm Aries Black," Aries said. "My father is Sirius Black and my mother was the former Regina Malfoy." "I'm Draco Malfoy," Draco piped up. "My father is Lucius Malfoy and my mother is the former Narcissa Black." "Ah, yes, I can see the family resemblance," the Minister said. "You look very like your respective fathers." "Thank you, Minister." The boys responded almost automatically. Albus Dumbledore passed by, and the Minister caught his attention.

"Over here, Dumbledore," he said. "I want you to meet Black's great-grandchildren. These are Aries Black and Draco Malfoy." "How do you do?" the old man said, looking at both boys over his spectacles. "Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your great-grandfather." "Thank you, sir," Draco said, but Aries glared at the old man silently. This was the man who had sent Sirius to prison and tried to keep him there. This was the man who had sent Harry Potter to live with the Dursleys and told the whole world Harry was dead when he had finally been rescued. This was the man whom his great-grandfather had hated until his dying day, but who had still had the arrogant presumption to stand up in front of all those people and pretend that everything was right between them.

"Pollux and I knew each other for many years," Dumbledore said. "We've heard," Aries replied in a cold voice. Draco gave him a funny look. The Minister chuckled nervously. "So, when will you boys be starting Hogwarts?" "Next year, Minister," Draco replied. Aries continued to glare at the aged Headmaster. "Ah," Dumbledore said. "Then we shall all be seeing each other again very soon." "If we must," Aries said brusquely. Dumbledore gave him an appraising look before taking his leave of the boys. The Minister followed shortly thereafter. Once they had gone, Draco dragged Aries out into the corridor.

"What was that about?" he demanded. "I don't know what you mean," Aries replied innocently. "Don't lie to me, Aries," Draco snapped. "I know you too well. What were you playing at with Dumbledore?" "I can't stand him," Aries muttered. "He ruins everything. He ruined Dad's life. He ruined Great-Granddad's life. And he dares to come up to us as though everything's just fine and act like he's Great-Granddad's old friend." "It's a funeral. What's he supposed to do? Tell everyone how much he hated Great-Granddad?" Draco snorted in disbelief. "He doesn't have to lie," Aries protested. "Dad didn't say a single untrue thing. I'd rather Dumbledore had stayed home than come here and subjected us to all that rubbish." "I understand, Aries," Draco said. "Really, I do. I don't like the old Muggle-lover either. But we have to show him some respect. We're going to Hogwarts next year." "Maybe we could persuade my dad and your mum to go along with Uncle Lucius's idea of shipping us off to Durmstrang," Aries suggested hopefully. Draco rolled his eyes. "Like that's ever going to happen. Face it, Aries. We're going to spend the next seven years at Dumbledore's school." Aries swore violently in Parseltongue. Draco took two steps backward.

"Don't use magic here," he said hastily. "We're in the Ministry, for Merlin's sake." Aries smirked. "I wasn't using magic." "What were you saying?" Draco demanded. "I'd tell you, but I'm afraid your mum would Scourgify your ears." Draco turned slightly pink. "Oh, right." He paused. "At least try to be civil to Dumbledore, for both our sakes." "I was perfectly civil," Aries said primly. "I held my tongue and didn't breathe a word of what I really think about him." "You didn't have to say anything," Draco muttered. "I think your glare alone lowered the temperature in the room by ten degrees." "Fahrenheit or centigrade?" "Shut up, Aries." The blond boy looked his cousin directly in the eyes. "Is it safe for us to go back in, or do I need to tell Aunt Clytemnestra I have a stomach-ache and get her to take us home?" Aries sighed. "I'll behave." "You'd better, because if you make a scene at Great-Granddad's funeral I'm the one who's going to catch it. You could get away with murder." Draco complained.

Aries thought of his great-grandmother, still barely holding herself together, and of Sirius, who had put so much work into organizing all of this. He hadn't thought about it, but he really could have turned it all into a horrid mess. His face fell. "I'm sorry, Draco," he said. "I didn't mean to make a scene." His cousin smiled and put a hand on his shoulder. "You can't help it, Aries. It's your Gryffindor side. It makes you do stupid things." Aries raised an eyebrow. "Are you accusing Slytherin's True Heir of Gryffindorish qualities?" "You're no more the Heir of Slytherin than I am Morgan Le Fay," Draco scoffed. Aries let out a long, guttural hiss. Draco rolled his eyes. "Come on, you idiot," he said. "Back inside." Aries bowed elegantly. "After you, Madam Le Fay." Draco swatted the back of his head, and they walked through the double doors into the large hall.