Marriage of Convience

Back at Grimmauld Place, Narcissa was sitting in the garden and sipping a glass of sherry. Sirius came out and joined her, carrying a bouquet of daffodils. "Are those for me, Sirius?" she asked, a wry smile on her face. "Who else?" he replied. "They're your flower, after all."

     "They're lovely," the blonde witch said. "Not as nice as the ones I was bringing to you the day you disappeared," Sirius said glumly. "But I thought you'd appreciate the gesture."

     Narcissa took the flowers and Conjured a vase for them. "I do," she said. "Thank you very much." She said with a slight smile. They sat quietly for a few moments before Sirius spoke up. "I have something to discuss with you," he said hesitantly. "I've been thinking about how best to watch out for you and Draco. You know I care about you both very much." He said his hands starting to shake a little. Narcissa nodded.

     "Well, Abraxas suggested that perhaps we should get married," Sirius said in a quiet voice. "That way Draco could have a father, and I'd be able to look after you. You're in a pretty precarious position right now, being the widow of a man who was cast out of his own family. You don't really have a legal right to much of anything except your marriage portion. This way you and Draco would be taken care of, no matter what happens."

     His cousin giggled. "This certainly is a change, Sirius Black," she said. "Aunt Walburga would be so happy. Don't you remember the second Christmas after you started Hogwarts?" She said still giggling. Sirius winced. "I might have overreacted slightly," he admitted. "Though to be fair, I had just turned thirteen, and it's more than a bit scary to have your mother threaten to marry you off to your much older cousin."

     Narcissa swatted at him playfully, and he dodged the blow. "You were very fortunate my father had already consented to Lucius's proposal," she said in amusement. "Though I wasn't much interested in you at the time, either. I was a beautiful young witch, after all, just come into her prime, and you were only a mischievous little Gryffindor boy. Who would have thought then that you would propose to me some twenty years later?"

     "Ironic, isn't it?" Sirius said with a chuckle. "Of course, this would be a marriage of convenience. I shouldn't expect anything from you in that way." He blushed, which Narcissa found highly amusing. She would have thought that nothing could embarrass Sirius Black. "You really shouldn't expect anything from me, either," he said quietly. "Ever since Azkaban..."

Narcissa lay a finger across his lips. "Not one more word, Sirius," she said. "I can't think of anyone with whom I should be more delighted to enter into a marriage of convenience. I'm pleased as punch that you would go along with such a scheme, both for myself and for Draco." Sirius smiled at her. "You're not offended that Abraxas was the one to suggest it, or angry that I couldn't be more romantic about the whole thing?"

     "Offended? Angry?" Narcissa rolled her eyes. "I've been worried sick about all these things for several months now, Sirius. I'm basically living off of charity from you and Abraxas, and we only have a gentleman's agreement from Abraxas that Draco will be the heir. You've presented a very tidy solution to my dilemma, one that doesn't require me to change my lifestyle or social circle in the least, nor to go through the agony of getting used to a new family." She smiled delicately. "Furthermore, I've discovered over the past couple of years that I actually quite enjoy your company, so our marriage of convenience would hardly be a great burden. Thank you, Sirius. I should be delighted to marry you."

     Sirius perked up. "Well, that's settled then. Narcissa laughed. "How on earth did you ever acquire your reputation as a ladies' man, Sirius?" she asked. "I'll have you know that I can be very suave and charming, Narcissa," her new fiancé retorted huffily. "But that's loads more difficult when one puts oneself in a vulnerable position."

     "Vulnerable?' Narcissa questioned.  "You could have said 'no', and I should have been mortally embarrassed," Sirius replied. He paused. "How do you think Draco will respond to the idea?"

     "I actually think he'll be quite pleased," Narcissa said. "He'll finally have a father who's worthy of the title." She said with a tilt of her head. "I hope you're right," Sirius muttered. "What about Aries?" Narcissa asked. "Do you think he'll like the idea of having a new mother?"

     Sirius looked utterly gobsmacked. "Merlin, I never even thought about that part," he said. "I'm sure he'll be fine with it. He's never really had a mother that he can remember."He said uncertainly.
"We'll have to arrange for a solicitor to draw up all the details of the wedding contract," Narcissa pointed out. "We'll also want to clarify with Abraxas exactly what the terms of Draco's inheritance will be."

     Sirius laughed. "I oughtn't to have worried about romance with you at all," he teased. "You're one pragmatic witch." Narcissa smirked. "Of course, my dear. I'm a Slytherin."