The Slip Up

Over a fortnight passed and Aries still had yet to regain consciousness. Madam Pomfrey told Sirius that his condition was relatively stable, which gave her some cause for hope, but the situation was still quite grim. It seemed that in addition to the Cutting Curse, there was another, very Dark curse in the boy's bloodstream, and no one knew quite what it was or how to remove it. Sirius had allowed Dumbledore and even Snape to take a look at it, to no avail. The poor boy continued to lie suffering in the infirmary. The family wanted to take Aries home to recover, but both Madam Pomfrey and the visiting Healers from St Mungo's advised against it, arguing that Aries needed constant supervision from trained medical professionals. The fact that those same medical professionals hadn't the foggiest idea of how to help him didn't seem to matter.

Sirius himself had not left Aries's side the entire time, except for a few minutes each day when Aunt Clytemnestra would bring him a change of clothes and spot him so he could wash. The other family members came by to visit about once a day, as did Remus. Draco came by whenever he wasn't in class, and he and his uncle spent many long hours talking. Most of the time, however, Sirius and Aries were all alone in the infirmary, and they had many intimate, if rather one-sided, conversations.

One morning Clytemnestra came through the doors of the hospital wing, carrying a large wicker basket in her hands. Sirius refused to leave Aries's side in order to eat, and Mopsy had been sending regular provisions via his mistress. Even so, Sirius ate very little. He hadn't much of an appetite seeing his (god)son in such a terrible condition. It worried Clytemnestra. Her great-nephew had put on a good bit of weight since he had been freed from Azkaban, but he was still quite thin, and couldn't afford simply to go without eating.

"Good morning, Sirius," Clytemnestra said briskly. "Any change?" Her great-nephew looked up at her hopefully. "I was talking with him about Quidditch last night, and I think he might have groaned a bit." The Squib gave Sirius an affectionate smile and handed over the basket. "Here's some more food, as well as freshly laundered robes. You go and wash. I'll sit awhile with our Aries."

Sirius leaned over Aries's prone body and grasped his hand. "Don't worry, son," he whispered. "I'll be just a minute, and Aunt Clytemnestra will be here the whole time." He gently squeezed Aries's hand before letting go and setting off to the bathroom. When he came back a quarter of an hour later, his hair still dripping, he found Clytemnestra singing softly to Aries:

"Arthur my king lay dying,
His golden crown was broken.
Came three witches on eagle's wings
To carry him home to Avalon."

Sirius chuckled softly. The old tune was one of his favorites. He joined in for the chorus.

"Avalon, Avalon, where Merlin's magic burns bright!
There yet reigns our good king: Arthur, the truest knight!"

Clytemnestra looked up at him in surprise. "That was awfully quick," she observed. Sirius shrugged. "I can't stay away too long." He grinned. "I love that song." His great-aunt smiled back at him. "It was always one of Aries' favorites. I used to sing it to him most every night when he was younger." "I had a teddy bear that used to sing lullabies to me as I fell asleep," Sirius reminisced. "I always asked for that one first." He grimaced. "Until I turned eight and my father decided I was too old for teddy bears." He paused reflectively. After a few moments, he launched into the next verse in his clear baritone.

"Stay safe, sweet child, in thine angel's care
As gently thy life moves on,
Till that day when through the air
He shall bring thee to Avalon."

Sirius broke down in tears. Clytemnestra rose from her chair to comfort him. "I can't lose him, Aunt Clytemnestra," the wizard sobbed. His great-aunt patted him lightly on the shoulder. "Believe me, dear, I understand. I too care for the boy just as if he were my own." Sirius took a deep breath. "I love the kid more than life itself, but it's not just that. I promised James I'd take care of Harry. I owe it to him." "Sirius!" Clyemnestra hissed. "Be careful. Someone might be listening." Her great-nephew rolled his eyes. "We're all alone, Aunt Clytemnestra." "One never knows who may be watching," the Squib admonished.

Sirius conceded the point. "In any event, Aries is my life now. If anything happens to him..." "Don't even think about it, Sirius Orion Black!" Clytemnestra snapped. "Aries will recover, and he'll be just fine. You'll see." "I hope you're right," Sirius said glumly. His great-aunt patted him on the shoulder and handed him a sandwich from the basket. Sirius tried to refuse, but she insisted, and watched him eat the whole thing. "You have to take care of yourself, Sirius," she chided him. "It won't do for you to get sick as well. Who will care for Aries if something happens to you?" Sirius sighed. "I suppose you're right." "Of course I am," his aunt replied. "Now have another sandwich."

Unbeknownst to either wizard or Squib, a certain Disillusioned Headmaster had been listening carefully to their every word, and at that moment slipped silently out of the infirmary through a side door. He returned to his office, his face twisted in profound thought as he attempted to divine the consequences of this momentous revelation.