I've Always Wanted Her

Aries floated tranquilly in his coracle through a sea of Riddle's memories. He had felt the link snap suddenly whilst he was observing his parents' brutal murder for the tenth terrible time, and then experienced a violent jolt that he was certain could only mean that he had been hurled out of the Dark Lord's mind. But things were still not right. He could sense that he had been freed from Riddle's trap, but he couldn't understand why, if he was back in his own mind, he was still surrounded by all these memories. The world around him was just as it had been when he had first entered Riddle's mind, only now the sea was perfectly calm, without Voldemort's nasty mental defenses, and the snake no longer sat perched atop Aries's shoulders. All the same, Aries knew the snake was not really gone. On the contrary, it was still close by. Very close by.

He tried to break the link repeatedly, but to no avail. Thus frustrated, he continued to sail along the tranquil sea and decided to take advantage of the opportunity to explore more of Riddle's memories. He watched how the twisted man had murdered his father and grandparents, not to mention anyone else who got in his way. He saw Riddle make his Horcruxes and hide them in various secret locations. He watched as Riddle explored the forbidden frontiers of magic and invented Dark spells that made one's blood curdle. He saw the establishment of the Death Eaters, and felt the thrill that ran up the half-blood bastard's spine as the pureblood scions of ancient lineages grovelled before him and kissed the fringes of his robes.

Aries saw power and knowledge, and knew instinctively that these were his for the taking – they had been gifted to him by virtue of his special insight into Riddle's mind. But, to his surprise, Aries found that the intoxicating vapors of Voldemort's vile secrets did not attract him in the least. He had just seen his parents murdered by that cruel monster, over and over again. He had seen the love and affection James and Lily had possessed towards him, and he had witnessed the selfless heroism of their sacrifice.

It was strange, considering that Aries had grown up with their portraits, but he felt almost as though he had seen his parents for the very first time as they really were. James was far more than a fun-loving prankster and a quick wit. Lily was more than just a kind lady who read stories. They were loving and dedicated parents who had given up their lives to protect him without even a second thought. Aries promised himself that one way or another he would avenge their deaths.

There was yet one question that still troubled Aries: why had Riddle wished to destroy him in the first place? He had only been a baby when the evil sorcerer had come after him. Why had Aries been deprived of growing up with the parents who had loved him so much?

Almost as soon as the questions came to Aries's mind, he found the coracle speeding along the waves to a rocky atoll some leagues distant. Of course, in the world of the mind, time and distance are irrelevant, and he reached the atoll in the twinkling of an eye. He disembarked from his boat, setting foot on the wet rocks, and found himself swept up into Riddle's memory.

The Dark Lord sat enthroned alone in a dimly lit room, contemplating his schemes for total domination of the wizarding world. The door opened, and Severus Snape entered. He came forward and knelt before his master. The future professor was quite young, but his hygiene was no better. "Yes, Severus?" Voldemort spoke in a light voice that Aries had come to know all too well. He was in a tricky mood. If Snape's news pleased him, the Death Eater would be greatly rewarded; if not, the young man would perish. Aries could see from Snape's trembling demeanor that he understood this perfectly. "M-my lord," the young wizard stammered. "I was in the Hog's Head, spying on Dumbledore, when I overheard a prophecy." This piqued Voldemort's interest. "A prophecy, you say? And how does this oracle concern me?" He raised his wand and pointed it at Snape. "Legilimens!"

The scene changed, and Harry could see Snape sitting outside a heavy wooden door, listening closely at the keyhole as Dumbledore interviewed a rather barmy-sounding witch – whom Aries thought sounded quite tipsy, to be honest. Dumbledore seemed to be making a concerted effort to refuse her politely, when her voice changed, growing deeper and harsher, and she began to speak: "THE ONE WITH THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD APPROACHES... BORN TO THOSE WHO HAVE THRICE DEFIED HIM, BORN AS THE SEVENTH MONTH DIES..." There was more, but Aries couldn't hear it, as Snape was apprehended by the owner of the pub and tossed out.

There was another shift, and Snape once again stood before Voldemort. It seemed several days had passed. The Death Eater looked, if possible, even worse than he had before. "Are you certain, my lord?" he asked timidly. "I'm afraid so, Severus," Voldemort drawled. "There is no doubt in my mind that the child of James and Lily Potter is the child referred to in the prophecy. They will be killed, and Lord Voldemort will reign supreme forever." He smirked at his Death Eater. "Why so glum, Severus? I should think you would be happy to hear the news. Your long-standing enmity with James Potter is known even to myself." "I'd like nothing more than to see that arrogant fool get what he deserves," Snape spat. "But Lily..." He paused. "I've always...wanted her." "The Mudblood?" Voldemort retorted. "Surely you can find a more worthy candidate for your...affections?" "I've always wanted her," Snape repeated, his voice cracking. "But Potter...he took her from me. My lord, I beg you, kill Potter and the child, but leave me Lily."

Voldemort paused for a long moment, then nodded graciously. "I shall grant you this boon, Severus," he said. "I shall kill James Potter and his child, and then I shall give you the Mudblood to make use of as you will." "Th-thank you, my lord," Snape whispered. "Lord Voldemort rewards his faithful followers, Severus," his master replied. "You may go."

The memories faded, and Aries once more found himself standing on the rocky island. He felt terribly sick. Voldemort had come after him because of that prophecy, and Snivellus Snape had been the traitorous rat who passed along the information. Aries took a deep breath. At least he now knew his real purpose. This was the reason he had been given Parseltongue, this was the reason for his unique insight into Voldemort's mind. He was not destined to be the next Dark Lord after all, but rather to destroy the last one. Aries's eyes glinted angrily. That was one burden he would take up with pleasure.