Coolest Professor Ever

The lessons with Remus began the second night after they got back, and Aries felt his resentment melt away by the end of the first session. Remus didn't treat Aries or Draco any differently than he had before the incident, and he was an exceptional teacher. Just as in their Transfiguration classes, he took the time to explain the principles behind each spell. They started with very basic incantations: the Disarming Spell and rudimentary shields, but Remus insisted that they learn to cast them nonverbally. "But we're not supposed to start nonverbal spells until our sixth year," Draco protested after his twelfth failed attempt to Disarm his cousin. "That's the classroom, where you don't have anything more serious to worry about than low marks," Remus replied. "In battle, however, you need every edge you can get. If you're always shouting your spells, your opponent will be better prepared to defend himself."

Aries had a disturbing thought. "What if you're battling a skilled Legilimens?" he asked. "Mightn't he be able simply to pluck the spells out of your mind?" "He would have to be extraordinarily powerful," Remus replied. "Legilimency takes concentration." He sighed. "However, if we're preparing you to fight Voldemort, we should definitely take that possibility into consideration. I'll look into it." He swished his wand and easily Disarmed Aries. "For now, however, we should focus on the task at hand."

As winter slowly melted into spring, things continued at Hogwarts much as they ever had. There were classes, of course, and homework. The extra lessons with Remus carried on quite well, and by the end of March both Aries and Draco were able to cast a few basic spells nonverbally. The Gryffindor Quidditch team was solidly on their way to win the Cup, and Wood was utterly ecstatic.

Right after the Easter holidays, the twins, the cousins and Lee and Dean began a three-way prank war. It was the cousins' first major foray into mischief-making since the terrible events of the previous term, and they were determined to prove that they had not lost their touch. They spent an entire weekend under the Cloak, slipping from spot to spot, layering enchantment over enchantment. On Monday, they lay in wait just outside one of the principal corridors to set their plan in motion.

Professor Snape came bursting up the steps from the dungeons, his robes billowing behind him as always. He set foot into the corridor and froze as a single loud chord reverberated off the walls. The large stone on which he stood had turned bright green. All the students turned to watch him carefully in order to see what he would do. The Potions master narrowed his eyes and took another step. Another chord played – one that clashed rather terribly with the previous chord – and this time the stone glowed bright red. "I'm afraid that just won't do," sniffed one of the suits of armor. "If you wish to cross the corridor, you must first display your patriotic pride."

Snape scowled and took another step, only to be hurled back to the staircase. For the next two days, students and teachers alike tried to cross the corridors, only to be thrown back violently. The professors all reacted differently to the barrier, but none of them were able to remove the enchantments. Most everyone tried simply to go by alternate routes, even though this easily doubled the time it took for them to get anywhere. Fred and George tried to fly through on broomsticks, only to have the stones respond the same way as if they had stepped on them. Aries and Draco didn't want to show anyone else the way through, so they made use of numerous secret passages to get from place to place.

Remus was the first to figure out the prank. He stood on one side of the corridor for a whole hour, watching as everyone tried their luck at making their way across. He himself had not set foot in the corridor since the prank began, preferring instead to watch carefully and learn from the others' mistakes. Eventually he smiled, and hopped across the corridor easily, jumping from stone to stone and playing "God Save The Queen." Once he crossed the corridor successfully the suits of armor applauded him and launched into a chorus of "Rule Britannia." The amazed students joined in the applause. Remus bowed graciously, then flicked his wand and cancelled the enchantment. Professor Lupin had permanently sealed his reputation as the coolest professor ever.