Gryffindor vs. Slytherin

Early November brought the first Quidditch match of the year. It was Gryffindor vs. Slytherin, and the entire school was bursting with excitement. On the morning of the match, Aries ate a hearty breakfast before walking over to the Quidditch pitch. He changed into his robes and grabbed his broom, and then joined the others for Wood's pep talk before heading out.

Aries relished the feel of the wind in his long hair as he soared into the air. His eyes quickly darted towards the stands, where he saw Draco watching eagerly. Aries's heart leapt when he saw who was sitting beside his cousin: a tall, good-looking man in Gryffindor Quidditch robes and a distinguished older man in a set of very old Slytherin Quidditch robes. It was Sirius and Abraxas. Aries laughed aloud, and did a couple of flips on his broomstick.

The game began. The Gryffindor team was really quite good, and the Slytherin team wasn't bad either, though it seemed to be built largely on the basis of brute strength rather than fine skill. Aries soared high above the crowd and watched for the Snitch. He saw it about half-an-hour into the game and dove for it at maximum speed. Higgs, the Slytherin Seeker, realised too late what had happened, and tried to race for it, but Aries was too fast. His hand clasped tightly around the Snitch, and Gryffindor won the game – 220-60. The spectators erupted in applause and Aries flew high above the crowd, holding the Snitch triumphantly above his head. Sirius, Abraxas and Draco were on their feet, clapping and roaring at the top of their lungs.

"ARIES BLACK! ARIES BLACK!" they chanted, and soon the rest of the Gryffindors joined in, followed by the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. The Slytherins, of course, looked sour at having been defeated, but they had noticed Sirius's presence, and seemed afraid to express their displeasure too severely in the presence of the man whom everyone knew to have been the Dark Lord's number-one henchman. Aries landed, and was immediately surrounded by the rest of the team. "That was brilliant, Aries!" Wood crowed. "Keep this up, and the Quidditch Cup is ours for certain." Fred and George clapped him on the back. "We knew you had it in you," George said. "Best discovery we ever made," Fred added.

Angelina smiled. "The new brooms don't hurt, either. Thank your dad and granddad for us." "Thank them yourself." Aries grinned. "Here they come." The team turned around. Draco was leading the way onto the Quidditch pitch, followed closely by Sirius and Abraxas. "Well done, my lads!" Abraxas shouted. "And lasses," he added a bit sheepishly, when he saw the girls' glare. "I think the Quidditch Cup has our name on it this year." "Our name?" Sirius smirked. 'What color are your robes again?" Abraxas rolled his eyes and waved his wand. His old Quidditch robes changed to red and gold.

Sirius nodded in approval. "That's much better." "Thank you so much for our brooms, Mr Black and Mr Malfoy," Wood said. "Don't mention it, my boy," Abraxas said. "Just a small token of our esteem." Sirius's eyes gleamed. "We consider them an investment, and we expect to reap abundant dividends." Draco laughed at Wood's confused expression. "He means he expects seven Quidditch Cups in a row from Gryffindor." Abraxas tousled Draco's hair. "You'll want to keep an eye on this one, Mr Wood," he said. "Draco is an excellent Keeper. You might want to groom him as your successor." "Not to mention he's a good backup player for just about any position," Sirius added. "Just in case someone falls ill." "Except Beater," Aries interjected. "He's pants at that." "True," Sirius admitted, patting Aries's shoulder fondly. "But so are you." Aries grinned. "I never pretended otherwise."

Abraxas put his strong arms around both of his grandsons. "By the way," he said, "I should like to extend an invitation for all of you to attend a Gryffindor team party at Malfoy Manor over the Christmas holiday. I shall owl you with the details." "I'll bring the firewhisky," Sirius said with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. A silky voice broke into the conversation. "How very like you, Black, to enable illegal behavior among the younger generation." Sirius did not even turn to look at Snape. "Oh, Snivellus," he said carelessly. "Snivellus?" Abraxas repeated, and then turned to look at the Potions master. "Oh yes, the half-blood." He wrinkled his nose. "Indeed, Sirius, I believe Narcissa was quite right." Aries and Draco sniggered. "Is there a reason, Mr Snape, that you have intruded into our private conversation?" Abraxas demanded. "I only wished to congratulate the Gryffindor team on their victory," Snape replied icily. "What do you think of my grandsons?" Abraxas went on. "Surely you have been impressed by their considerable talent?" "The boys are competent potion-brewers, Mr Malfoy," Snape said dully.

"Indeed they are, Mr Snape, among other things." Abraxas looked Snape directly into his black eyes. "In fact, you might find some of their other talents most intriguing. Aries and Draco are very gifted wizards." He leaned forwards. "As am I, Mr Snape, and, to be sure, as is my distinguished son-in-law. You would do well to remember that." Snape frowned. "Thank you for the warning, Mr Malfoy." "That wasn't a warning, Snivellus," Sirius interjected. "That was a threat." Snape glared at both men before nodding curtly and walking away.

"My, what an unpleasant fellow," Abraxas murmured. "It's a pity you children have to study Potions with him. It's a wonder anyone can learn anything with him looming about. In my day, and in Sirius's as well, we had Professor Slughorn. A marvellous potioneer, and a good friend of mine. It's a shame he retired." "Anyway, you lot have a victory party to attend," Sirius said. "Don't let us hold you up. Well done, and we hope to see you all at the Christmas party." Sirius and Abraxas bade them all farewell, and the team trudged back up to the castle for the victory party.