An Owl, A Cat, or A Toad

That June, right after Draco's birthday, the entire family relocated to the chateau. It was a bit more crowded that the boys were accustomed to see it during their summer holiday, but the house was very large, and there was more than enough room for all. Granny seemed utterly delighted to have so many guests to care for, and the entire house was filled with a spirit of good cheer and family fun. The fact that most of the family considered it good fun to discuss the best way to poison one's enemies or smuggle potion-quality human blood past the Ministry was entirely beside the point.
About a week before Aries's eleventh birthday, he was awoken by an owl tapping on his window. A letter dangled from its leg. Aries opened the window and retrieved the letter. It bore the Hogwarts crest and was addressed in green ink:

Mr A. Black
The Largest Bedroom
The East Wing
Chateau Noir
Provence, France

Aries threw on his bathrobe and slippers and ran down the corridor to Sirius's room, the letter clutched in his hand.

"Dad!" he shouted, jumping on Sirius's bed. "It came!" "Second rule," Sirius growled. "The sun's up," Aries answered back. "You're fair game." Sirius groaned and sat up in bed. "What came?" he asked. "My Hogwarts letter!" Aries said eagerly. His dad yawned and stretched. "Let's see it."

Aries barely managed to open the envelope before the door to Sirius's room burst open and Draco came running in. "You weren't in your room," he told Aries. "I thought I'd find you here." "Good morning, Draco," Sirius said wryly. "Good morning, Uncle Sirius," Draco replied quickly before turning back to Aries. "So you got yours too?"

Aries nodded and held up his envelope. "For Merlin's sake, just read them already," Sirius said. The boys yanked their letters out and began to read them aloud at the same time.

"Dear Mr Black," Harry began.
"Dear Mr Malfoy," Draco corrected.

"We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!" both boys shouted in unison. "You sound so excited." Sirius smiled fondly. "Were you worried you wouldn't get in?" "No, but it's still a bit thrilling to see it written down," Draco replied. "There's a long list of supplies," Aries observed.

Draco nodded. "We'll have to go to Diagon Alley."
Sirius chuckled. "Somehow I don't think that will be a problem. May I see your letters?" Both boys thrust their letters into his hands. Sirius looked them over. "I think I'll get you both your animals," he said thoughtfully. "Do you want an owl, a cat or a toad?"
"An owl," both boys said together. "Well, if I buy you owls, I'll expect lots of letters from both of you," Sirius teased. A mischievous gleam appeared in his eye. "Now go show your letters to Aunt Cassie."