|𝟑𝟐.| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗢𝗳 𝗟𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗔𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗹𝘀 ♤

Aria

I want to sleep.

I blink repeatedly, my eyes tired but my body not allowing me to rest due to the immense amount of pain the explosion did to my body. I look outside at the midnight sky and the city lights. The blurry roads and distant shadows of pedestrians walking home from the late shift from the nearest local bar. The headache brewing in my temple distracts me for a second.

The cold wind hits me as we walk out, our luggage already being boarded onto the plane. I glance around to see Marae trying to take deep breaths and River placing a soft kiss on her temple in reassurance. He calls Zalea and clings onto her tiny hand as they walk towards the plane - as we steadily follow behind them.

We board the plane and seat ourselves in our seats as River gives Marae a sedative for her to calm down. She is afraid of flying so I can understand how much convincing it took for her to do this, River sits Zalea on his lap letting her play with her doll while munching on a packet of skittles as he gently strokes her hair. In a matter of seconds, Marae is asleep resting her head on River's shoulder as he yawns slightly. He's tired.

I excuse myself next to Ash and walk over to where they sit, most so sleep, and carefully observe River's dark circles as he shifts Zalea making sure not to graze his wound from when he got shot early tonight. Luckily enough it was not a massive injury, the bullet only grazed his side but he did lose a lot of blood, and yet he gives all his energy to Marae and Zalea.

"Nemo, you're tired. Give Zalea here and get some rest, your injuries need to heal." he seems determined to keep Zalea to himself, wanting to admire her but after debating about my injuries, he reconsiders and I take Zalea from his lap, as she giggles and nod. He sighs, resting his head atop Marae's and I smile.

I bring my hoodie down, the little scars more visible. As I sit back down with Zalea on my lap, I notice Ash studying my face probably looking at the cuts and bruises. I know he's just worried but it makes me feel self-conscious. I begin to pull my hoodie back over my head when he stops me, turning my face and placing a gentle kiss on every cut he can reach. Mhm.

"You're tired and yet you still took her," he observes. My brows furrow and I wonder how he noticed, I haven't made it visible that I'm feeling sleepy but as always there is close to nothing that I can hide from Ash. Alas, reading his face is like going through the book of Atlas. Very complex and comprehensive to an excessive extent. "Yes, but River was shot. I cannot find it in me to sleep in any way so it is alright." I answer.

"You are too kind for your good." he shakes his head, studying Zalea with curiosity. Watched how she interacts with her doll and now and then takes a skittle from the packet and eats or offers one to me which I refuse. Ash types away on his laptop and Zalea drops her doll without me noticing. While trying to get it and escape my grasp she bumps her head on the table in front of us.

"Oh, I'm sorry baby. Here." I rub her forehead, giving it a gentle kiss. Ash laughs a little and I roll my eyes picking up the doll and handing it to Zalea - who completely forgets about her bump when the doll is in her grasp. I sigh making sure she's placed carefully in my arms this time, "Instead I am far too selfish but you will not see that because you are in love with me. You are meant to see past my flaws." Zalea stops playing with her toy - looking up at me, "What's love?"

I think for a bit, trying to answer the question in the simplest terms for her, "You see over there" I point over to River and Marae who sleep peacefully in their seats, their breathing in sync with each other I wonder if their hearts beats at the same pace, "That's love." Zalea smiles looking at them before looking at Ash this time, "Then Mr. Ash must love you. He has the same look Mr. River has when he stares at my Momma."