03. GHOSTS

NOAH LEAD ME to an isolated room towards the back of the compound. Lining the concrete walls were two long tanks connected by a raised platform that attached to the rim of the tanks. There was a narrow staircase leading up to the platform, and when Noah climbed it, I hesitantly followed.

"These are the tanks you'll be working on for your first assignment." Noah announced as we emerged from the stairs.

Stepping onto the platform, I could see directly into the depths of the tanks. From this angle, the tanks looked like two giant pools below us. Carefully, I approached the lip of the tank, peering down into the blue depths. The bottom of the tank was lined with white sand, and throughout the tank were large aquatic plants and pieces of coral. There was also a large filter towards the back of the tank, creating a gentle current that made the plants sway.

Everything was so carefully placed, it was laughable. This wasn't like the ocean at all, yet the thought of going into the tank made my stomach swoop. Suddenly feeling faint, I learned back, taking a step away from the tank.

"Are you alright, you look a little pale." I heard Noah ask from beside me, concern lacing his voice.

I nodded. "How big are these tanks?" I asked absentmindedly, looking away from the water to focus on Noah.

Noah watched me for a moment, probably making sure that I wouldn't pass out, before responding, "About 500 gallons each, but like all of our tanks, they are connected by a series of sealed tunnels that run throughout the compound."

I frowned. "What's the purpose of that?" I inquired, genuinely interested, but also thankful for the distraction. I felt my body begin to settle as my focus drifted away from the water.

"Just in case we need to transfer a species to another tank, having underwater tunnels that we can open and close at will makes it an easier process." Noah responded, walking to the far end of the platform to a small storage room built into the wall. I watched as he opened the door and disappeared for a moment, only to reappear holding a blue tool box.

"We've been cycling these tanks for almost a month now, getting them ready for a new salt water species the research team is working on." Noah said as he approached me, kneeling to set the box down in-between us.

"Our job is to make sure these tanks will be safe for the incoming species." He continued, his lab coat fanned across the ground as he opened up the tool box. "New breeds are very susceptible to disease so we want to be careful." He added, gesturing for me to come closer. I obliged, moving to kneel down beside him.

My eyes scanned the contents of the box to see an array of neatly organized glass vials and bottles of chemical solutions.

Noah grabbed a small black booklet from the side of the box, handing it to me, "This is the instruction manual to use this kit. Inside you'll find all the supplies you'll need to check the water parameters."

Noah reached into his lab coat and pulled out a small black tablet, "Be sure to record your results here." He said, handing that to me too.

I nodded, taking the book and quickly skimming the pages.

Noah watched me flip through the pages. "It should be straight forward, but I'll come back in a few hours to check on you." He added.

"In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problems." Noah said, pointing to the tablet in my hands. "My contact is already inputted, you just need to dial." With that, Noah got up and with a wave, turned to go back down the stairs and out of the room. And just like that I was left alone, surrounded by 1,000 gallons of salt water.