EPILOGUE

Two months later...

"WATCH THOSE TURNS KAELIN!" I warned, unable to do much else but watch the chaos unfold from my position behind the rolling wave. I observed as the lanky kid shifted on his board, leaning his weight to cut a turn, only to end up having his board catch too much water and jerk roughly. I held my breath, watching the scene from my own board. Just as I thought the Kaelin would fall into the water, his board immediately straightened, righting itself on the wave. Kaelin was able to steady himself then, and he rode out the rest of the wave toward the shore.

"Nicely done Kaelin!" I yelled to him. Wasting no time, I laid down on my blue and white board and paddled out to him. Digging my arms into the water, I paddled as hard as I could to get to my awaiting student. Out of nowhere, I felt something grab my arm, halting my movements. Just then, warm lips found their way to my palm and I smiled, looking down into the water beneath my board. I barely caught a glimpse of shimmering blue scales moving beneath the water before they vanished, letting go of my hand.

"Thank you." I whispered to the water before continuing on my trek. I had my suspicions that Cassian had prevented Kaelin from falling, but now I knew for certain. It was still daylight, so I couldn't go to him yet. But knowing that he was already here, watching me, made my stomach swoop in expectation for when I could finally see him tonight.

"Did you see that!" Kaelin boasted as I approached him, moving to sit up on my board beside him.

I smiled, putting my hand on his shoulder. "That was amazing!" I said encouragingly. "Not to mention, it's only your second lesson Kaelin and you're already a pro," I added, patting him on the back.

Kaelin's smile widened to an ear-splitting grin, "Really?"

"Really." I confirmed. "Now come on, I think our time's up for today." I said laying down on my board to paddle to shore. Kaelin let out a disappointed moan but followed me nonetheless.

I helped Kaelin carry his board as we got to shore, where his parents awaited. I gave them a wave and Kaelin ran to them. I could hear him recounting each exciting detail of today's lesson to his parents, who watched him with amusement. Kaelin looked back, giving me a final wave goodbye before finally leaving with his parents.

Once they were gone, I began making my way up the beach to my father's shop. Since my return, my father decided that it would be a good idea to help him out at the store until I figure out what I wanted to do. It was a job that my father had been offering to me ever since my mother died. My mother always used to be the one to help my father at the shop, occasionally teaching surfing lessons to supplement the income. However, after she died, my father had to take on full responsibility for the store. He has been doing everything all alone ever since.

In the past, when he would ask me to come work with him, I would always dismiss it. I refused to be anywhere near the water, even at the expense of my father. When I moved to California, I had told myself that I would never come back to Oahu. That I would never set foot on the beach again and that I would finally be able to move on from the pain of my past and live normally.

But I was wrong. I had thought that forgetting my pain was the only way to overcome it. Now I knew better. Now I knew that the only way to make the pain go away was to confront it head-on and accept it without denial or fear.

It was a process, and something I was still working on for that matter. But as the days went by, the process grew easier and easier. Each day I spent with my father in his shop, with my students, with Noah, and most of all, with Cassian, gave me new memories that slowly began to replace the bad ones.

Now that I had come back, I was grateful for the opportunity to work with my father. With a science degree, my options for potential jobs were limited outside of research or laboratory positions, both of which I had no desire to join. So, working with my father was truly an ideal arrangement. So much so, that I had begun offering surfing lessons as a way to make extra income. Just like my mother did.