21. FORMING A PLAN

IT WAS HARD leaving the creature. Almost as hard as it was to keep calling him "the creature". Still, I preferred that to Subject 0017. I didn't want to think about what that number meant, even though my subconscious undoubtedly had a pretty good guess.

Once I reached the exit, I grasped my access badge and held it up to the digital lock on the door. As Hunter had said, the tank door responded to my access badge, swinging open to allow me to leave. Before I could take my first step out, I paused in the doorframe, looking back one more time at the creature that rested on the far wall of the tank.

His head was hung again and his long silver hair fell forward, covering his face that rested between his knees. Judging by how steadfastly he held onto my wrist, he didn't think I was coming back.

It hurt, knowing that he didn't really trust me. But I could hardly blame him after everything that has happened.

Though now to think of it, he did let me go. Albeit begrudgingly. So perhaps he did trust me, somewhere deep inside of him. Or, at the very least, he wanted me to be able to escape even if he could not.

The thought made my chest ache, but it also made me think. The creature was free. He had escaped, and he had plenty of opportunities to leave and never return. But he stayed.

Why?

And he also let himself get caught again, just to protect me. He could have easily left me in the water that day and disappeared beneath the waves, but he didn't. He has put himself through so much pain on my behalf, and it was as frustrating as it was confusing. I didn't understand his motives for anything, but regardless, it was time to return the favor.

My face hardened in steely resolve and I made a promise to myself. That the next time I came down here, it would be with a plan.

Taking a breath, I turned away from the creature and walked through the tank door, which closed and locked itself behind me with a click.

Making my way from the tank, I glanced at the security room stationed beside it. Inside stood a few lab coat-clad scientists observing the cameras that monitored the tank, and the creature inside. I noticed that the monitors only displayed videos and did not seem to pick up audio, which I made a mental note of.

One of the scientists noticed my stare and looked up at me. I frowned in disgust, turning away quickly and continuing down the hall.

It made me sick knowing that people were watching us the whole time, and would continue to watch the creature long after I was gone.

A chill ran down my spine at the images of what might happen while I am gone and I paused once again.

I wouldn't be there for him. They could torture him again, or worse. And I wouldn't be there. I bit my lip, glancing behind me at the tank I had left.

It was a hard decision to make, but ultimately I would be no help to him even if I did stay. If anything, they would use me to torture him again as they just did today. I had to leave, I had to get help, and I had to come up with a plan.

Resolved once again, I turned back and kept walking. Once I got to the elevator, I half expected it to deny me access as some cruel joke. However, to my surprise, my badge worked. I scanned it and the doors slid open, allowing me to operate the elevator back up to the compound's main level.

The ride was quick, and the elevator doors opened with a ding, exposing me to the newly familiar research section of the compound. Exiting the elevator, I walked quickly past the glass rooms, knowing now not to look at the horrible experiments happening inside.