18. GOING UNDER

THE MEN DRAGGED me further into the compound, towards the research section of the facility which I had never been allowed to visit. The first thing I noticed was how different the hallways looked.

I admit that I had taken a few glances over at this side of the compound while on my way to the exposition section where I was assigned.

However, I could barely see a few yards into the hallways. So, I was shocked to see that instead of being lined with concrete walled rooms filled with tanks like what I was used to seeing, these hallways were lined with all clear glass walls.

As the men walked me further down the hallway, I saw that behind the glass walls were office-like rooms, which I could clearly see into due to the translucent glass.

Though, if I would have known what I was about to see, I would never have looked.

Each room that I passed looked strikingly similar to the one before it. Metal surgery tables occupied with fish of all kinds took up the center space of each room. The fish were strapped down to the metal tables, which were surrounded by lab coat-clad scientists. The scientists were holding silver tools of all kinds, some of which I recognized to be scalpels, needles, and syringes.

We passed by the rooms quickly, but I caught glimpses of the scientists as they leaned over the bodies of the myriad fish, cutting, splicing, and dissecting. To my horror, some of the fish were still alive and wriggling as they were being suffocated, injected, or cut apart.

We passed by another room and my eyes connected with those of a large tuna fish laid out on one of the tables. Its eyes moved frantically around the room, glinting under the fluorescent lights, before meeting mine. I watched in shock as its eyes began to dim, now staring blank and dead. My face paled.

I looked away, refusing to glance at any more rooms. My stomach churned when I realized that this had been happening the whole time I was working here, unknowing. Every time I thought this place couldn't get any worse, it always did.

I kept my eyes focused in front of me as I was pulled to the end of the hallway at the back of the research section where an elevator awaited.

My eyes widened. Another elevator?

Before I had time to even process what I was seeing, I was roughly dragged inside the elevator along with the men, and Hunter following closely behind. Once inside, I watched as Hunter scanned his access badge and pressed the lowest level on the elevator.

GOING DOWN. A metallic voice spoke before the elevator groaned and shifted to life, dragging us further underground.

Once the elevator stopped, the doors opened with a ding. Hunter was the first to leave, and I was pulled out by the men, forced to follow.

To my surprise, this level was small. Just a simple concrete room. At the end of the room, was a large clear tank that spanned up the wall. Beside it, I saw what looked to be an observation room with chairs and monitors showing live videos of inside the tank.

My heart clenched at the sight of a familiar figure in one of the monitors, resting against the far end of the tank wall. I could only catch a glimpse before I was pulled away, and walked straight up to the large clear glass tank in front of us.

Up close, I could see that the tank was devoid of water. It was completely empty besides the outline of the creature, resting on the far wall of the tank. I grabbed my neck, trying to look past Hunter to see the creature better. But the creature's face was downturned, its long platinum hair fanning over its face, covering any expression it may have had.

My chest ached at the sight, the creature looked physically drained and defeated.

Hunter moved, regaining my attention. I could also see the outline of a door carved into the glass, and to confirm my suspicions, Hunter stepped up and scanned his access badge. Unlocking the door. At the sound, I saw the creature's head lift up slightly, but not enough for me to catch a glimpse of his face.