19. SACRIFICES

COLD WATER CONTINUED to rain down on me from above, quickly filling the tank. The water rushed around my legs, reaching around my knees within minutes. My hair was completely soaked, hanging heavy around my face.

"Would you all just stop trying to drown me!" I shouted, my voice echoing off the tank walls. My joy in pepper spraying Hunter was short-lived now that I found myself poised as a victim once again.

At this point, I was beyond frustrated with my helplessness. When I came back to the compound, I had sworn to myself that I would not be a victim again. I was determined to do everything that I could to free the creature and fix my mistake. Yet here I was, being used against the creature once again.

But what could I do? If I would have run and left the creature behind, then what? Hunter made it clear what would happen if I tried to contact the police.

And if I did run, what if they never let me back into the compound?

My chances of ever breaking back in to save him would be slim to none. I had no choice but to play along for the moment. Besides, I had to see how things worked down here if I was going to manage planning an escape. But to do that, I had to first survive this.

I pushed my hair out of my face, glancing over at the creature who had his head upturned towards the water. His eyes were closed and his lips were parted as he welcomed the torment of water, drenching his face and hair. With how painfully dried and cracked his scales looked when I first entered, they must have been denying him water this whole time.

Part of me wondered how reliant he was on water. It's clear that he didn't need it to breathe or he would be long dead, but his tail seemed to need the moisture. Either way, the look of relief on his face made me forget that I was minutes away from being completely submerged underwater.

Suddenly, Hunter's voice rang out over a loudspeaker.

"Subject 0017, you know what to do to make the water stop." He announced, his voice ending with the loud click of the speaker.

So as I assumed, the creature is Subject 0017...I thought to myself. What that number meant though was something I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

I watched as the creature's head lowered at Hunter's words. With the creature sitting against the wall, the water had just reached up to his chest and was rapidly rising. I was standing so the water reached just past my hips.

The creature's tired face suddenly creased into a frown as it grew serious with concentration and strain. His whole body tensed up, his abdomen clenched and his biceps bulged as he strained against his chains. It looked painful, whatever he was doing...then I realized.

Hunter sent me in here to force the creature to test his theory that he can switch between a tail and legs. Was that what he was doing now?

As if answering my question, the creature let out a low moan, his face scrunched in agony and strain.

"Stop it!" I shouted to the creature, over the sound of the pelting water.

The creature paused, his breathing heavy and ragged as he looked over at me. His sea blue eyes regarded me through slits of platinum hair and his brows creased in confusion.

"Please stop!" I cried to the creature, "If it's that painful, please don't do it. I put myself in this situation and I am willing to accept the consequences. Don't torture yourself on my behalf!" I explained.

The creature's eyes watched me, his face switching from confusion to what looked like anger and frustration. Shaking his head, the creature closed his eyes and resumed his task. His face crumpled with pain once more, and his lips parted into a snarl, revealing the fang-like teeth hidden beneath.