28. TRUSTING THE ENEMY

THE ROOM WAS small and dark, and I could barely make out that it seemed to be some kind of supply closet. After a few moments, the person who had grabbed me released their grip on my arm and I immediately made for the door.

However, they stepped in front of me before I could reach it.

"Wait! Please, I just want to talk." A familiar voice called out from the darkness. Just then, a small light illuminated between us and I saw the face of my captor.

My eyes widened before narrowing in suspicion.

It was Austin, holding his phone to create some light in the small supply closet. I had not been this close to him since the day we met on the beach all those nights ago. He was taller than I remember, his lanky frame towering over me as he looked down at me from behind the reflection of his glasses.

Regaining my composure, I crossed my arms across my chest, "Austin?! What is going on?" I snapped, displeased at being roughly dragged into some small dark room.

"Shhhh!" Austin silenced me, gesturing for me to be quiet, "There aren't any cameras over here, but you need to keep your voice down." He explained quickly.

I let out a breath, "Why am I here Austin." I said lowly, eyeing the door behind him.

Austin held his hands up in surrender, "Listen, I'm sorry about today but we needed that blood. Dr. Grant is considering terminating the subject, we are trying to find something worth studying to make him worth keeping." He explained, his voice sounding surprisingly sincere. I also noted the fact that he referred to Cassian as a "he" which many here avoid doing.

"Worth keeping?" I repeated curiously, my voice now devoid of the anger it had earlier. I was still skeptical, but I was also willing to hear him out.

Austin seemed to notice this shift and his shoulders relaxed as he explained, "Dr. Grant has given orders to terminate the subject." He said simply.

I froze. I opened my mouth a few times but found no words to voice my confusion and distress. Only after a few moments was I able to finally form a sentence, "But that doesn't make any sense, why would Dr. Grant spend so much time and effort trying to capture Cassian just to kill him?" I asked, still unbelieving.

"Cassian?" Austin said again, looking down at me.

"The subject's name, try using it." I responded dryly.

Austin nodded, looking at me for a moment. The moment stretched and the silence grew awkward between us. He just kept staring at me curiously behind his glasses, as if realizing something.

I tilted my head at him, "So...are you going to answer or not?"

Austin's eyes widened and he blinked a few times, "Oh right!" He began, adjusting his glasses to sit high on his nose, "Dr. Grant caught the s-...uh...Cassian, to clean up his mess. He wanted to be sure that there would be nothing that could be traced back to him. Cover everything up and try again." Austin finished.

"Try again?" I asked incredulously, "What does that mean?"

Austin cleared his throat, shifting under my gaze, "Well...you know Dr. Grant has other compounds with other... experiments." Austin alluded, and my blood went cold.

"Of course, so he wants to terminate Cassian and focus on these other subjects then right?" I added snidely.

Austin nodded, his dark hair falling in front of his face, "Something like that." He answered lamely.

I frowned, "But why not just let Cassian go then, how would anyone trace the creature back to Dr. Grant?" I asked curiously before adding, "I mean, I know Dr. Grant is an esteemed geneticist and people already have their suspicions, but there is no solid proof." I added, thinking about the letter I sent to the F.B.I. this morning with the photos of Dr. Grant's log.