20. TO KEEP A PROMISE

I JOLTED WHEN I heard the sound of the tank door swinging open. I quickly glanced behind me to see the two men walk in with Hunter, who looked entirely unamused.

"Don't you dare touch him." I warned, feeling fiercely protective of the creature resting his head on my lap. His eyes were now open, watching the men that entered with a steely gaze.

Hunter laughed, "How scary." Hunter jeered at me, snapping his fingers at his men who took that as a cue to approach me. The creature stiffened in my lap, lifting his head to sit up and face the men that quickly approached, but I put my hand on his chest.

His skin was cold and smooth beneath my fingertips as I steadied him, he was in no condition to fight.

I hesitated as the men approached, but made no move to shove them away. Not yet at least. To my surprise, they didn't immediately grab me and drag me off, instead, one of the men reached over and unclipped my access badge from my blouse. I felt the creature stiffen under my hand at their proximity, but he made no further move.

With my access badge, the men retreated, handing it over to Hunter. Hunter took the access badge and slipped a small black tablet from his lab coat pocket, which he used to scan the badge. I observed his actions with skepticism, watching the men in the corner of my vision in case they approached again.

Hunter typed something into the tablet and slipped it back into his lab coat pocket. Then he looked up at me and grinned, "Calm down." He started, walking over to hand me back my access badge.

I looked at the laminated badge in his hand for a moment before slowly reaching my hand out to grab it, still watching him carefully.

Hunter then reached into his pocket and held out my car keys and phone that he had taken from me earlier. My eyes widened in disbelief as I took the items, quickly pocketing them and regarding Hunter with a look of confusion.

Hunter crossed his arms, "We aren't here to take you away. In fact, you've done very well today. Aside from your idiotic act of aggression." Hunter said, rubbing his eyes which were still red and irritated.

At his discomfort, my lips lifted up into a small smile.

Hunter scowled. "In fact, you can leave whenever you like. As we cleared up earlier, you know what would happen if you tried to contact the authorities." He spoke as his men began to file out of the tank, "And besides, in the impossible case they would believe such a delusional little girl, just remember, you signed a confidentiality agreement. You are legally sworn not to say anything about anything you have seen to anyone, including the police. Anything you admit while under this contract will not be usable in court. If you do tell anyone, you will be in breach of your contact, which is also punishable by law." Hunter drawled, turning to follow his men out of the tank.

My eyes followed his movements, and Hunter paused at the doorway, turning back to me.

"Oh, and I've updated your badge privileges. You've been granted access to this section. However, you will be monitored and your access can be revoked at the press of a button." Hunter said, peaking his black tablet out of his coat to show me. "You'll do well to remember that." Hunter warned, pointing his finger at me. It was clear that he was threatening me, but I was more angry than scared of him.

Just then the men returned, holding buckets of water and rags.

"Now, clean up your mess." Hunter ordered with a vicious grin, before he pivoted and exited through the door. His men followed behind him, closing the door as they left. Once I was sure they were gone, I looked at the buckets of water and clean towels they had left behind.

If they expected me to sit here and clean the floor, then they would be sorely disappointed. I thought wryly.

Though now to think of it, it would be a good idea to clean up. I looked down at the pool of blood beneath us that had managed to soak my pants and completely mark the creature.