23. TAKING ACTION

THE NEXT MORNING I woke up hours before the crack of dawn. Packing my things, I took off in my car, thinking about everything that had happened.

Noah and I had talked more the night before. Once we had finished eating, I took Noah to my apartment where we opened the file I had stolen from Flip's old office together, reading its contents.

What we read was beyond disturbing.

Flipping through the time-withered papers, I read the first entry with a date printed at the top of the page.

November 19, 2010

Despite the disapproval of the Board of Science, I have gone forth and done something extraordinary. Taking donated human eggs and altering their genome with unique traits from some of the aquatic species I have studied, I have already begun my endeavor to begin genetic enhancement in humans and thus change the future of modern medicine. My work here will ensure human survival in our deteriorating world.

May 24, 2013

After almost a decade of trial and error, I have perfected a system of choosing which genes must be replaced in a modified embryo. As a result, three subjects, Subject 0006, Subject 0010, and Subject 0017 have made promising progress. The embryos have developed into fully functioning humanoid fetuses. These subjects have shown immunity to most cancers as well as increased cellular regeneration and resistance to autoimmune diseases.

April 9, 2016

After testing radiation exposure on the subjects, Subject 0006 has been terminated. Subject 0010 and Subject 0017 have both passed the testing and have proven to be immune to the effects of radiation. Subjects are now fully developed. One thing to note is that despite the genes of the donors, all subjects have albino traits including white hair and pale skin. I have scrapped the other ongoing trials and will focus on these two subjects for the time being.

October 13, 2018

After further development, Subject 0010's aquatic genes mutated and grossly deformed the subject. Subject 0010 is no longer humanoid and I will terminate immediately. Subject 0017 has continued to mature into a humanoid creature with only slight deformities. What once appeared to be a normal human adolescent has begun sprouting blue scale-like protrusions in its legs. Upon attempted removal, these scales have shown to be attached to the skin and permanently fused with the subject, causing great pain during removal. Also, have it be noted that Subject 0017's blood is blue upon exposure to oxygen. Will have to research further.

June 18, 2018

Subject 0017's legs have begun fusing together at a rapid pace, along with an increase in the number of scales. Incisions have also appeared on the subject's chest in what I assume to be the formation of gills. Perhaps my equation for human genes was not as foolproof as I had hoped. What is causing this progressing mutation I am unsure of, further experimentation is needed to understand my mistakes.

April 3, 2020

Every attempt to recreate humanoid subjects has ended in failure. Mutations occur every time. As a result, I have decided not to terminate Subject 0017. Despite its mutations, Subject 0017 is the most humanoid in appearance and it displays human-like emotional intelligence and compassion, unlike any other subject. As of today, Subject 0017 will be the only remaining subject under trial at the Pisces department.

October 17, 2028

The subject has matured quickly, into a full adult with fully developed muscles. The subject also displays numerous unique abilities including enhanced strength and incredible speed underwater. However, the subject's emotional reactions are becoming increasingly erratic. On several occasions, I have sent researchers to hospitals due to attacks by Subject 0017 during testing. I will have to figure out a way to control these outbursts.