34. WARM DESPITE THE COLD

THE FOLLOWING DAYS passed easily. I never expected to ever live on a boat and like it, but with each passing day, the experience grew on me. On the boat, Cassian, Noah, and I had created a routine that worked well for us to pass the time.

During the day, I would typically busy myself with tasks that Noah had requested me to do. Simple things to keep the boat in order such as sweeping, doing small repairs, and the adjusting sails. Additionally, I would use Noah's supplies to prep our meals for the day. Not because I was the only woman, of course, but because Noah was steering the boat and Cassian was part fish.

Truthfully, meal times were the only times that all three of us would be in the same place together. Noah would stop the boat, and we would all meet out on the deck, so that Cassian could eat with us from the water. After we would finish, Noah would help clean up before going back up to the captain's room where he would continue to navigate the boat. According to him, we would be arriving at Oahu any day now.

I had already called to let my father know we were coming, which he was above the moon about. From how surprised he sounded over the phone, I suspected he was beginning to think I would never come back to the island. Honestly, I never thought I would either. It's crazy how much can happen in a few weeks.

Meeting Cassian undeniably changed the course of my life. He saved me, in more ways than one, and being here with him was a dream come true. Part of me never wanted our time on the boat to end.

After the first night on the boat, Cassian and I slept beside each other for the first time. I think it was the best sleep I had in years.

The following morning, however, I awoke to an empty bed. Panicking, I searched everywhere only to find Cassian had switched back to a tail and was swimming alongside the boat. Apparently he could only go a little over a day with legs before he had to switch back. So, while I was busy on the boat, Cassian would spend his days in the water. That way, come nightfall, he could be with me.

Thus, it goes without saying that night quickly became my favorite part of the day.

Tidying up our room before night came, I glanced over the sea shell collection I had set on the dresser, smiling as I remembered how I had gotten them. After the first night, Cassian had brought me a beautiful conch shell as some form of an apology. It was the most beautiful shell I had ever seen, and I was so happy with his gift that I hugged him.

So, every night he would bring me a shell, watching my face light up at each new intricate design. I never asked him to keep bringing me shells, but he did. In his own way, it showed that he cared and wanted to make me happy. That's why I treasured each shell, and the memories that came with it.

I treated tonight like all the previous evenings, and as the sun began to set, I put out some clothes for Cassian on the balcony to change into before coming inside to sleep as he usually did. As I waited, I finished tidying up the room and laid on the bed, watching the sunset from the balcony window.

However, unlike previous nights, the sun had fully set and yet Cassian was still nowhere to be seen. Just as I was about to go look for him, I heard something hit against the glass balcony window.

Quickly, I got up and walked over to open the window. Stepping outside onto the balcony, I saw a small rock at the foot of the window. Frowning, I looked out at the water.

It was dark, but the lights on the side of the boat illuminated the water enough to see Cassian floating among the waves, smirking up at me. I could only see a bit of shoulders and his head, which meant that he most likely still had his tail.

I grinned. Walking to the edge of the balcony, I gripped the bar, looking down into the water.

"What are you doing?" I called down to him playfully.