22. METAHUMAN TRIALS

I STARED AT the words printed on the folder in my hands, blinking. The fact this file existed should not have come as a surprise to me after everything I had seen.

By now, I was well aware that this compound was engaged in shady activity. The creature's existence was proof enough that C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories had proceeded with human experimentation despite it being completely immoral and highly illegal.

Nevertheless, it was still hard reading the words. Somehow seeing them printed on a physical paper I could hold in my very hands made everything real. The creature, this place, Dr. Grant, and the impossible task ahead of me.

My heart began to pound, and I felt the present slipping away. Images of waves crashing and people screaming began manifesting as my mind began to wander, drifting back to unpleasant times of my past.

I shut my eyes, blocking out the budding hallucinations and focusing on slowing my breathing. I had to stay focused. I couldn't lose it, not right now.

After I had calmed down, I closed the filing cabinet and stuffed the folder under my blouse. Fortunately, my shirt was loose enough that the sharp edges of the paper were barely noticeable. Wrapping my arms around my waist to keep the file secure, I stood up and made my way out of the office.

Approaching the door, I placed my ear against its surface, listening to people walking by. When it fell quiet and I was sure nobody was nearby, I quickly opened the door. Peeking outside to confirm nobody was walking by or looking, I snuck out of the office, closing the door behind me.

With the file secure under my blouse, I quickly made my way over to the exit walking briskly enough to leave but not quick enough to draw any unwanted attention.

However, my attempts at staying clandestine were not as foolproof as I had hoped. As I left, I saw Hunter walking from the research compound to the main dome room where I was walking across. He was still with his gang of researchers and burly men, with Austin among them. Our gazes met and his eyes narrowed.

A chill ran down my spine at the raw stare he gave me. Ever since that night on the beach, Hunter's gaze has always made me uncomfortable. I couldn't put it into words, but something in the way that he looked at me made my skin crawl.

Deciding not to let him know how much he got to me, I broke our eye contact. Looking away as if he was inconsequential to me, I kept walking towards the exit. Though I had turned away, I could still feel his eyes burn into my back, watching me as I took my leave.

I let out a shaky breath once I had made it out of the exit and into the parking lot. Though I refused to adjust the slipping file under my blouse, I was sure there were cameras in the common areas of the compound so I was certain there would be some in the parking lot.

I almost threw myself into my car once I reached it, slamming the door shut and turning on my ignition. Turning on my car, I drove out of the compound and made my way home.

As I drove, I felt my phone in my pocket buzz. Looking at the road, I grabbed my phone and looked at the message.

It was from Noah.

Lani?! I'm pissed but fine, what about you? They let you go??

Clumsily looking between the road and my phone, I quickly rushed a text back to Noah.

Yes...meet me at the ramen shop ASAP. We need to talk.

The response wasn't long coming.

On my way.

With that, I pulled off the freeway and headed towards the ramen shop where Noah and I had met after our shift once before.