13. DR. RICHARD GRANT

I FELT HIS presence before I saw him. It was the morning of Dr. Grant's arrival and the compound was dead silent. All the buzz and bustle of the day prior was gone, leaving only anxiety in its wake.

In a line all the employees waited, or at least the ones who didn't suddenly catch an illness and had to stay home. We stood in the center of the main dome room, staring at the elevator awaiting his arrival.

My heart jumped when I heard the ding of the elevator, indicating he was here. The doors swung open and there he was. Standing in the center of two burly guards, was Dr. Richard Grant. His steely grey eyes scanned the room with an air of superiority as if we were all ants beneath his well-polished shoes.

His salt and pepper hair was so jelled back it hardly moved as he walked out of the elevator and towards us. His eyes briefly caught mine and my blood ran cold. I looked away immediately, not liking the emptiness I saw in those steely shallow depths.

Flip was the first to speak. Straightening his lab coat, he walked right up to Dr. Grant.

"Dr. Grant, it's always a pleasure to have you visit us." Flip announced nervously brushing his hair out of his face.

Dr. Grant barely acknowledged him, "You know why I am here, let's skip the pleasantries." Dr. Grant deadpanned, his lips set in a firm line as he looked down at Flip who nodded quickly.

"Y-Yes of course, right this way." Flip said as he gestured for Dr. Grant to follow him.

"Don't bother, I already saw the security footage." Dr. Grant stated, making Flip's face pale. If it was possible, the silence grew, as if everyone was collectively holding their breath.

Flip cleared his throat, "W-We've been looking for it, searching but it's not that easy. You see-"

"I am not here for excuses. I am here to inform you of your permanent resignation." Dr. Grant said, cutting Flip off. Flip simply gaped, unable to process what was happening.

Before I knew it, the guards who came with Dr. Grant approached Flip.

"Please, I can explain!" Flip pleaded, as the guards grabbed his arms and began dragging him away, towards the elevator. I was shocked.

Did Flip just get fired? It didn't look like that. It looked like they were dragging Flip off to die.

Nobody did anything. Everyone stayed still, waiting in their line, eyes downcast. My wide eyes met Noah's from across the room. He looked resigned, sorrowful even.

Flips pleas were cut off by the closing of the elevator doors, leaving Dr. Grant standing alone in front of the crowd. If he felt remorse, he certainly didn't show it. Once again, his eyes met mine across the room, and they sparkled with some unsaid secret. This time I didn't look away, I held his gaze with my determined one. To my horror, his lips twisted into a cruel smirk.

I swallowed.

Dr. Grant refocused on the crowd of employees in front of him.

"I know many of you might not understand what's going on, but let this be a lesson. I don't tolerate mistakes." Dr. Grant said with an air of finality before turning and heading towards the elevator to take his leave.

Once he was gone, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

———————————————

Dr. Grant's POV

The elevator was irritatingly slow. It took just over a minute standing in that metal box until I arrived back at the surface. Once I exited the elevator, I was greeted by a group of black vans parked outside. Dozens of hired bodies stood in front of the vans, awaiting my next order.

"Begin searching the water, I know the creature's here." I ordered. On cue, the groups saluted before loading themselves back into the vans.

I stopped one van group before they left. "Wait. You will stay here and wait by the door." I bit out.

"Sir?" One of the men asked, annoyingly curious. I payed them to take orders, not ask questions.

"Wait here." I repeated sharply. "A girl, Miss Leilani Ono, will come out this door. I want you to follow her."

The men looked at each other, I could see the gears turning in their slow minds.

"Why? I thought we were here to find a dangerous creature? Sir." One of the men asked, adding sir on quickly.

I rolled my eyes. "Where she goes, it goes. Follow her, and stop asking so many damn questions. Understood?"

The man blanched, "Yes sir."

I didn't bother responding, instead I watched in silence as they filed by the entrance to the laboratory, hiding just out of sight.

With that, I hopped in the last van and drove off. The girl would be out soon. I had received reports from a few employees and local spies that I pay to frequent the beach that the creature had made contact with the girl.

Ever since it's escape a few months ago, I knew it had stayed around. But the ocean was too wide of a searching area, and with the unique ability to turn invisible on demand, it was impossible to find.

I needed to find something to lure it out of hiding. Just as I was running out of hope, I saw her application for the internship position. Beautiful and young Miss Leilani Ono was the perfect solution to my problem.

When my sources found out that Miss Ono couldn't swim, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to strike. With a hearty cash bribe, I ordered a researcher named Hunter to attempt to drown her, playing off the morals this creature had shown on multiple occasions.

Reading Flip's log of the creature's progress, it was clear that as it grew up, it was beginning to develop a moral compass. On one occasion, a researcher slipped and fell into its holding tank, falling unconscious after hitting their head on the edge of the glass. The creature, despite usually displaying violence towards the researchers, showed uncharacteristic compassion and pulled the researcher out of the water, saving their life.

Miss Ono was the second test of this creature's moral character, which according to my informants, was another success.

However, what we never expected was for the girl to develop some sort of connection with the creature. Instead of staying away from the water, as I predicted she would, Miss Ono continued to visit the beach. And, shockingly enough, Miss Ono was able to call forth the creature to present itself to her on multiple occasions. A creature which, for months, has remained in hiding.

After hearing this news, I knew that the chance to reclaim the creature was within reach. If I was right, Miss Ono would return to the water tonight. And this time, my men would follow her.

The creature would fall right into my trap, and this time, I would make sure it never escapes again.