08. THE CREATURE

RIGHT ON TIME Noah came to meet me at the end of his shift. Together we walked to my car after I insisted on driving. I have a rule that I never get into a stranger's car, and though Noah seemed nice, I did just meet him a day ago. But also because I wanted to make sure we drove by the coast on the way to the ramen place. I wanted another chance to search the water.

"Thanks for driving." Noah said with a smile as he slid into the passenger's seat. I waited for him to put on his seatbelt before turning on the car.

"No problem." I replied, pulling out of the compound and onto the rocky costal highway.

The already setting sun set the ocean ablaze with a mixture of vibrant reds and bright oranges. I squinted to get a better view of the coastline but the bright sunset was blinding, covering any shadows hidden beneath the waves. With a sigh, I looked away and back towards the road.

"Nice music taste." I heard Noah chime from beside me. Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked over at Noah and to the radio that played the song "Underneath It All" by No Doubt.

"Never would have guessed you liked 90s fem rock." I said, casting a skeptical look at Noah.

Noah chucked, and I noticed that he had a small dimple in his right cheek. "Music is music, besides, 90s rock is my favorite fem or not."

I nodded. "Well said, though I would have guessed you were more of a reggae kind of guy. Maybe like Sublime or something." I said, quickly glancing over at him.

"What makes you say that?" Noah asked quizzically.

Noah watched me as I let my eyes roam from his early 2000s shell choker that highlighted his wetsuit tan line, down to his board shorts and sandals. "Just an observation I suppose." I responded finally, and the car fell silent.

"Bob Marley" Noah said suddenly, as if answering a question.

I quirked an eyebrow. "What?"

"I listen to Bob Marley, not Sublime." Noah said with a half smirk, his eyes twinkling with mirth as they met mine. Understanding washed over me and I couldn't help my smile as I turned back to focus on the road.

We arrived at the ramen place soon after, and found a quiet table for two in the back of the small restaurant. It was relatively crowded and I hoped the sound of conversation and the restaurant's low instrumental background music would award us with enough privacy to talk.

After all, I wanted to find out what Noah knew about Dr. Grant and his special requests.

Once seated, we gave our orders and the waiter left, finally giving us the space to talk. My eyes met Noah's across the table. He seemed to have something to say as well, so I waited.

Then he spoke. "Lani, I meant it when I said how sorry I was for the other night. I knew Hunter was idiotic but not violent. I'm so sorry." He said, his eyes softening. I could tell he was genuinely upset, and I nodded.

"It's alright Noah, I already forgave you remember?" I said holding his gaze.

"Thank you." He said, his voice lower. His gaze was intense, searching mine.

It was silent for a moment while we looked at each other. Then I spoke, "Though now that we're alone..." I started, leaning forward onto the table to close some of the distance between us.

I watched as Noah's eyes widened and he leaned forward on the table to match me. I could've imagined it but I almost thought I saw him look at my lips as he leaned in.

"I wanted to ask you about the previous employees who quit at CROSS" I said, looking around us.

Noah blinked. Whatever spell he was under just broke and I could practically see the gears turning in his head as he tried to piece together what I had just said.