Chapter eight: Late night fireside

This is going to be a little fluffy chapter so prepare for that lovelies. I mainly wrote this so Geralt and (Y/N) could learn a bit more about eachothers adventures, one such story told here, which is kind of sad so forewarning for that. On to the chapter!

I woke up a few hours later hearing a hushed voice and I sat up, straining to hear what was being said.

"Renfri was her name. She was a princess I failed to help long ago."

Geralt says quietly and I wonder who he is speaking to, taking a peek outside my tent to see him petting Nareas and talking to her and a small smile form's on my face.

"You've got a good owner, she reminds me of Renfri when she fights."

He says to Nareas, stroking her nose and she knickers in response, and I smile at his interaction with the horses.

"She's also got a kind heart. Not many people still have that in this world."

Geralt whispers, barely letting me hear and I smile softly at his compliment. Tossing on my shirt I exit my tent and Geralt goes quiet, watching me as I sit down on a log next to the dwindling fire.

"Did I wake you?"

Geralt asks me, giving Nareas a few more pets before joining me on the log, placing some kindling on the fire.

"Not really. I don't sleep well when I'm traveling. Keeps me alert. What are you doing up?"

I ask in a quiet voice, poking the fire with a stick to get it going again and I listen to the soft crackles coming from it as Geralt goes quiet, lost in thought as he stares at the flames. Looking at him I notice sweat along his brow and his eyes look red, almost bloodshot, like he'd had a nightmare.

"Did you have a nightmare?"

I ask quietly, Geralt sparing me a quick glance before focusing on the fire again.

"I've had my fair share of those. You don't have to tell me about it, just know that I'm here if you need to talk."

I say softly, and I notice Geralt set his jaw, getting caught up in his thoughts.

"I heard you say a name earlier, who's Renfri?"

I ask gently and Geralt sighs, avoiding my eyes.

"She was a princess I killed a long time ago. That's why I'm named the butcher of Blaviken."

Geralt says slowly, and I nod at him, urging him silently to continue.

"I was dreaming about the fight we had where I killed her. It's not a pleasant memory."

I hesitate a moment before deciding to reach my hand up, moving the fly away pieces of hair behind his ear in comfort before cupping his cheek gently, running my thumb along the scar there.

"I know how that can feel. I haven't always done good things either. There was someone I failed too."

I say softly, Geralt watching me with an intense gaze, leaning into my touch slightly.

"His name was Aiden. A little boy no more than ten when he was cursed by the local witch for accidentally ripping up her herbs. He turned into a monster whenever night fell, and during the day he was as sick as death."

I say with sadness in my voice, remembering the little boy's face as Geralt gives me a look to continue as my hand drops from his face and back to my side.

"I forced the witch to give me what I thought was the cure for the curse, but it turned out to be poison. That boy died because of my recklessness, and his parents now live without their baby."

I finish my story as a tear slides down my cheek and Geralt reaches up and wipes it away with his thumb gently and I smile softly at him, my heart beating slightly faster at his action.

"I'm sure you did whatever you could to save him."

Geralt says quietly and I take his hand in mine, holding it and rubbing small circles along his knuckles.

"I'm sure you did the same with Renfri. I know it's probably difficult for you to share your feelings and stories with others so I'm appreciative that you feel comfortable to do so with me."

Giving him a gentle smile I let go of his hand after giving it a gentle squeeze.

"We should try going back to sleep now."

Geralt says with a soft smile and I nod, standing up and brushing off my pants, turning and heading into my tent, feeling Geralt's eyes on me as I enter my tent. Opening the flap of my tent I look at him one last time before saying,

"And if you have another nightmare, you can wake me to talk."

Geralt nods and I close the tent flap again before laying down, still feeling his touch on my cheek and I smile softly to myself, reaching my hand up to touch that spot before frowning. This was no time for my heart to get in the way, he was my partner, nothing more. We could be friends, but I wouldn't let myself fall for him, I was still hurting. Listening to the soft fire crackles, I finally hear Geralt's soft snores from his tent, signaling he'd finally fallen asleep and I sigh, turning on my side and resting my head on my arm.

"Don't feel anymore girl, or you're going to be heart broken again."

I mutter to myself before closing my eyes, sleep calling to me and I obey.