Chapter twenty-six: Nicknames

" You think he might have mentioned that the road was too narrow for horses."

Jaskier complains and I roll my eyes at him, taking my pack off Nareas saddle and I give her pets, her nuzzling into me and I smile.

"I won't be long girl. Keep Roach out of trouble hmm?"

I say to her as Geralt chuckles next to me as he ties up Roach and I hear the dwarves start yelling and we both turn to face them, the leader walking over and holding his hand out to me and Geralt.

"Name's Yarpen Zigrin."

The bald dwarf says and I take his hand first, giving it a firm shake.

"(Y/N) of Posada." I say with a kind smile and he nods, taking Geralt's hand as Geralt introduces himself and as Jaskier attempts to do the same Yarpen waves him off.

"You'd make a pretty penny selling those mares while you can."

He says before walking off and I roll my eyes at him.

"Funny how everyone wants to get their hands on those two nowadays."

Jaskier comments and Geralt finishes tying Roach down and patting her head.

"He means we won't survive the climb dear brother."

I say as I grab my sword, strapping it to my side as I notice Yennefer making her way over to us.

"How is it that I've walked this earth for decades and I've never come across such a sweet little bird before, but the moment I meet you my dear it seems I can't get rid of you?"

Yennefer says with a smile and I return it with one on my own, my heart beating slightly faster.

"Or how about the first witcher I ever meet I can't get rid of as well."

Yennefer says, turning to Geralt and Jaskier rolls his eyes at her.

"I'd say something strange was a foot, but then again, Witchers are bound to bump into monsters eventually."

Jaskier says with a sneer and Yennefer chuckles out of pity, shooting him a look.

"Jaskier."

"Yennefer."

She looks him up and down for a quick moment before turning back to us.

"The crows feet are new Jaskier."

Yennefer says and I stifle a laugh behind my hand and Jaskier gets flustered, trying to come up with something but failing miserably, walking off.

"Geralt, why don't you go talk to Jaskier real fast, I'll catch up with you."

I say to him and he gives me a look, before sighing, nodding his head and placing a chaste kiss against my cheek as I smile before walking up the road and Yennefer looks at me.

"I see you've finally nabbed the witcher then hmm?"

She asks and I blush, looking over to the knight in the background who seemed to be praying.

"And what about you Yen, find a knight in shining armor finally?"

I say and she chuckles, turning to look at the knight as well.

"He's my escort. Noble sir Eyck of Denesle. I've joined him to assist him in killing the dragon."

She says as he stands, shouting something about honor and sheathing his sword.

"Though his voice isn't as lovely to listen to as yours little bird."

Yennefer says before walking off and I sigh, running a hand through my hair out of concern and picking up my bag before jogging to catch up to Geralt and Jaskier.

"So, what did you talk about with the wicked sorceress?"

Jaskier asks me when I catch up to them and I roll my eyes at him.

"We just talked about the hunt. Told me about the knight escorting her before calling me by the nickname she gave me and going."

I say nonchalantly and Geralt gives me a look with a raised eyebrow.

"And what nickname is that?"

Geralt asks me with an almost jealous tone and I smile slightly at his words.

"She likes to call me little bird. Don't know why though."

I say, Geralt nodding and Jaskier looks at him with a smirk.

"Maybe Geralt should have a nickname for you little sis hmm?"

Jaskier says cheekily and Geralt rolls his eyes at him and I laugh, purley and sweetly.

"Lady (Y/N), would you mind walking with me a bit, little bird?"

Yennefer calls from ahead of us and I give Geralt's hand a quick squeeze before running up to her and she takes my arm in hers, introducing me to Eyck personally as Borch falls behind to walk with Geralt who's staring at me with an intense look as I laugh at a joke Yennefer makes.

"You're afraid that if you let her stray too far from you, you'll lose her. You're in love with her, hmm?"

Borch says and Geralt thinks for a moment before responding.

"Or, the danger here isn't the dragon."

Geralt says and Borch chuckles to himself.

"That's why I brought you Geralt of Rivia. Nothing scares you."

Borch says and Geralt tilts his head with a smirk.

"Then you don't know (Y/N) or Yennefer."

Geralt says and Borch lets out a hearty laugh.

"May they be the worst encounter then."

Borch says as the groups continue on up the mountains.

"There's something back here."

Jaskier calls when the group stops for a rest and I look at him handing Yennefer a goatskin of water for her to drink.

"Jaskier I swear to the gods if you mess with that creature-"

I mumble barely audibly and Yennefer chuckles at my slight overprotectiveness.

"Geralt! It's one of your friends again."

Jaskeir says sprinting back towards the group as a hirikka exits the brush and standing to its full height and my heart hurts looking at the poor thing. It's ribs were showing and it's face was gaunt.

"It's just a hirikka, it's probably just starving the poor dear. Sheath your weapons."

I say but sir Eyck does the opposite, killing and decapitating the hirikka, striking it repeatedly even after it was dead and I look at the knight with disgust, heading back to Geralt as Yennefer goes over to him, fawning over how he could have died and I roll my eyes at them.

"That was hard to watch."

Jaskier whispers to me and I nod, bitting my lip in thought. Geralt looks at me with concern as I eye Yennefer, turning my head with his finger and bringing me back to the real world.

"What's going on in the beautiful head?"

Geralt asks me quietly and I sigh, shrugging my shoulders slightly.

"He just brutally killed a creature that didn't do anything to us, simply because it was in the way. What happens when one of us end up in his way?"

I mumble quietly and Geralt frowns, looking at Eyck with a soft glare.

"He's not going to hurt anyone here. Trust me." Geralt says looking back to me and I nod, crossing my arms defensively with a sigh. Yen, who did you get yourself involved with?