ch 27

Liam Moonhovan

"Just when things were getting better," I grumbled as Enzo drove me to the elementary school.

 "Hey. Alexis is a great kid. So I'm sure there's a valid reason." Enzo stated, driving with his other hand, holding my hand at the middle armrest with the other. I grinned up at him, knowing that even though I was stressing out over Alexis.

Maybe I had been neglecting her too much recently. 

"Liam, it has nothing to do with your parenting. Take it from someone who was always getting into trouble in school "Enzo said as if he could hear my thoughts. "You were murmuring to yourself," he remarked, observing my surprised expression. I nodded and leaned forward, tightening my grip on his hand.

When we arrived, we rushed in to find Zach sitting outside the principal's office. "Zach what happened?" I questioned as I approached him, Enzo trailing behind me.

 "I'm not sure. They just called because I was her second emergency contact when you didn't answer, but I'm not her legal guardian, and I haven't seen her yet." He remarked as we came to a halt in front of him.

"Where is she?" I asked staring to worry out of my mind. Alexis had always been the "golden child," even in kindergarten and the first few months of school here. So her getting into a fight out of nowhere frightened me a lot. 

"Ah, Mr. Moonhovan, please come in," the principal remarked as he pushed open the door. Through his spectacles, he peered at Zach and Enzo. "Unfortunately, just one more individual may enter," he explained.

 "Go ahead, I'll wait out here," Enzo replied, both of us perplexed, but he grinned and waved for us to enter.

I shared a look with Zach before we followed the principal in. 

"Papa!" Alexis came coming up to me, clutching my leg. I picked her up, surprised by her appearance. Her short hair was disheveled, and she had a wound on the side of her cheek that was covered by a blue band aid. She was also covered in dirt from head to toe. She had a little bruise on her forehead.

 "What happened, Love?" I murmured, my heart pounding with anxiety and anger yet sinking at her appearance. We sat across from James and his parents, whose look was identical to Alexis'. 

"Now, I hope you're both aware that your kids got into a fight today. They have both been really lovely students, and we are delighted to have them join us in first grade, regardless of that fact such behavior is not tolerated." He remarked, and I nodded calmly, listening to him while comfortingly rubbing Alexis' back to stop her from crying.

"What exactly did happen?" James' father inquired. 

"We don't know for sure but it's reported they were arguing and then began fighting." The principal said. 

"It's apparent that unruly child attacked our son," James' mother added, pointing to Alexis. 

"No, I did not!" Alexis defended herself, sitting up in my lap.

"It's okay, I know you didn't," I said quietly, trying not to lose my composure. She's lucky I am in a good mood since I'd reconciled with both Zach and Enzo, so my patience was higher than usual; otherwise, that woman would have seen hell.

 I truly believed Alexis. She was a kid, so of course she lied but it was only about small thinks like brushing her teeth and finishing her vegetables. She'd never lied about anything important before, so I had no reason not to trust her over some woman who has the audacity to argue with a child, forget her literally acting like one.