Ch18

Liam Moonhovan.

"Papa is Enzo coming for dinner today?" Alexis asked climbing into one of the seats at the Kitchen island. 

At some point in the week Enzo had stopped by after I picked Alexis up from school, he'd brought her some cupcakes which was all ate and watched some Disney movie that had come out, they we're getting along so well but It has not occurred to me that Alexis would expect him to join our little family dinners with Zach and Zaria. 

Honestly I don't think it's a bad idea, they have to meet them eventually anyway. since he has no plans of leaving "How about we give him a call?" I asked setting down the knife I was using go cut vegetables. "Yay" Alexis smiled as I pulled out my phone and put it on speaker.

"Heyo," he said as he picked up the phone. 

"Hiiiii hiiii, Enzo!" Alexis exclaimed. 

As I put him on speaker, I heard him laugh. "How are you doing, Alexis?" .

"I'm Fine. I just came back from school" she informed. They conversed some more, with Enzo largely asking Alexis questions about school and such. 

"Alright let me talk to him now" I said taking him off speaker. 

"So what's up?"

"Uh nothing....what are you doing today evening?" I asked, nervously, my mind racing with possibilities such as him saying no or thinking it's stupid. 

"Oh, because it's Friday, I'm going to see my parents, do you want to hang out?" He said. 

"Uh, Alexis had wanted to invite you over for dinner, but there's always next time," I admitted, little disappointed. 

"Alexis wanted me to come?" he said, amusement in his tone. 

"Mhm," I nodded, and he remained silent. "Ok, maybe I did too, just a bit," the silence killing me. I could practically feel his smile from the other side of the phone.

"Yea, whatever," I answered hurriedly, "since you're busy, we'll invite you next time." 

"Uh, sorry I couldn't make it," he replied.

 "I don't care. Here talk to Alexis I told him as I handed her the phone.

 I couldn't help but grin as I remembered when she told me she felt like a grown up whenever I allowed her talk on the phone with the twins the majority of the time. 

She gave a little pout as she listened to Enzo, who was probably explaining why he couldn't come.

"But why can't your mama and papa just come too?" She asked, puzzled, which made me laugh. I took up the knife and resumed slicing. 

They continued to chat, with Alexis offering a variety of ideas, one of which was for us to all just go see his parents. "Ok bye bye. Papa here" she said after a moment handing me my phone.

 "Wow, you've raised one hell of a lawyer there," he joked, causing a small chuckle in me. 

"Yea you could say that, so anyway I'll call you later. Have a good time with your parents 

"I stated. "I will, bye" he hung up the phone and I went back to cooking.

I felt heavy in my chest, as if I were actually disappointed that he couldn't come, but i thought nothing of it and focused on what I was doing.

As soon as Alexis heard the car in the parking lot, she ran to open the door for Zaria and Zach. We enjoyed dinner as usual, enthusiastically discussing our next weeks and such. These dinners were never scheduled, but they happened at least twice a month, usually on Fridays, as this one was.