(8)Quantum

Scott paces back and forth in the office, muttering to himself.

"I am so confused right now." I let out.

"Scott." Steve says. Scott looks at him like a deer in headlights. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He breathes and rubs his eyes. "Have any of you ever studied quantum physics?" He asks.

"Only to make conversation." Nat replies.

"Alright, so..." He points at us. "Five years ago, right before... Thanos," He begins. "I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small." He explains.

"Hope. She's my, um..." He hesitates. "She was my... she was- she was supposed to pull me out." He concludes. "And then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there."

"I'm sorry, that must've been a very long five years." I say.

"Yeah, but that's just it." He says to me. "It's wasn't. For me, it was only five hours."

We stand shocked and confused.

"See the rules of the quantum realm aren't like they are up here. Everything is unpredictable. Is that anybody's sandwich? I'm starving." He rambles.

He quickly grabs a sandwich and starts eating.

"Scott." Steve says again. "What are you talking about?"

"So..." He says with his mouth full. "What I'm saying is, time works differently in the quantum realm. The only problem is, right now, we don't have a way to navigate it. But what if we did?" He rambles again.

"I can't stop thinking about it. What if we could somehow control the chaos- and we could navigate it. What if there was a way, that we could enter the quantum realm at a certain point in time, but then exit the quantum realm at another point in time?" He goes on.

"Like..." He hesitates.

"Like before Thanos." I say for him.

"Wait." Steve says. "Are you taking about a time machine?"

"No. No, of course not." He says. "Not a time machine. This is more like a..." He pauses and thinks.

"Yeah." He corrects. "Like a time machine. I know it's crazy. It's crazy." He stammers.

"But I can't stop thinking about it. There's gotta be..." He breathes quickly. "Someway-" He sighs. "It's crazy." He shakes his head.

"Scott, I just came back home after being an icicle for five years... so, nothing sounds crazy anymore." I say to him.

"So, who do we talk to about this?" Scott looks at us.

Nat looks at me. "I have an idea."

• • • •

(the fit for this scene)