(11)Test Run

(fit)

"Time travel suit, not bad

"Time travel suit, not bad." Rhodey says and enters the room.

Scott is in one of our new Avengers time-travel suits and Nebula is making adjustments to it. Hulk steps towards Scott with the tube of Pym Particles and is about to insert it to the suit.

"Hey, hey, hey! Easy! Easy!" Scott stops him.

"I'm being very careful." Banner says.

"No, you're being very hulky."

"I'm being careful." He protests again.

"These are Pym Particles, all right?" Scott says. "And ever since Hank Pym got snapped out of existence, this is it." He holds up the tube. "This is what we have. We're not making anymore."

"Scott, calm down." Rhodey says calmly.

"Sorry." Scott says and takes a breath. "We've got enough for one round-trip each. That's it. No do-overs. Plus, two test-runs." He says and puts the particles into his suit.

He yells and shrinks down, then comes back.

"One test-run." He says.

I sigh and shake my head.

"Alright." Scott lets out. "I'm not ready for this."

"I'm game." A voice says behind me. I turns and see Clint standing against the doorframe. I didn't know Natasha actually got him.

"I'll do it." He says.

•                 •                  •                •

Clint put on the suit and Nebula starts setting him up.

"Clint, now you're gonna feel a little discombobulated from the chronoshift. Don't worry about that." Bruce explains.

"Wait a second. Let me ask you something." Rhodey says. "If we can do this, you know, go back in time, why don't we just find baby Thanos? You know, and..."

He trails off and makes the motions of strangling.

"First of all, that's horrible." Bruce says.

"It's Thanos." Rhodey replies like it's a no-brainer.

"Yeah but, time doesn't work that way." I say. "Changing the past doesn't change the future."

"Look, we go back, we get the stones before Thanos gets them... Thanos doesn't have the stones. Problem solved." Scott says.

"Bingo." Barton adds.

"That's not how it works." Nebula says.

"Well, that's what I heard." Clint replies.

"Wait, but who? Who told you that?" Bruce asks.

"Star Trek, Terminator, Time Cop, Time After Time," Rhodey says.

"Quantum Leep." Scott adds.

"Wrinkle in Time, Somewhere in Time-"

"Hot Tub Time Machine." Scott says.

"Hot Tub Time Machine. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Basically, any movie that deals with time travel." Rhodey concludes.

"Die Hard?" I suggest. "No, that's not one..."

"This is known." Rhodey says.

"I don't know why everyone believes that, but that isn't true." Bruce says to him.

"Think about it. If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future. And your former present becomes the past, which can't now be changed by your new future." Bruce rambles.

"Exactly." Nebula and I say together.

"So Back to the Future is a bunch of bullshit?" Scott says.

An hour later we gathered around the time machine. Clint stands in the middle of the contraption and the rest of us watch from behind the control panel.

"All right, Clint." Bruce says. "We're going in three, two... one." He says. The machine activates and a large tunnel below him sucks him up.

He's gone for about ten seconds and Nat holds my hand the entire time. When he reappears, he's on his hands and knees, breathing heavy.

We all run up the stairs of the machine and rush over to him.

"Hey, hey. Look at me." Nat says and helps him up. "You okay?" She asks. He seems confused at first.

"Yeah. Yeah." He pants.

"It worked." He says with a baseball glove in his hand. "It worked." He repeates and tosses the glove at Tony.

"Yes." Tony hisses.

"Alright. We got the how, so who can tell me the when and the where?" I say. Nobody answers, they just smile.

"Let's go people." I smile back.

It's working.

•   •   •