#34 - The Queen Of Seoul

Author's POV

An echo rises in the room as the dungeon door is unlocked and pushed open, making the three remaining prisoners sharply look up. They stand to their feet in alert at the figure walking inside.

"What do you want?" Seokjin scowls.

Taehyung glances up at the mourning man, his dead eyes making Jin slightly taken aback at the King's state.

The King then turns and looks into the cell opposite Jin's, watching the elder brother standing in front of the younger one with intentions of protection.

"You two are brothers, aren't you?" Jimin's eyebrows raise at the weakness in the King's voice, and he nods in confirmation.

Taehyung's eyes lock with Jungkook's. "And you're the youngest?"

Gulping, Jungkook nods.

Taking in a breath, the King licks his dry lips whilst he thinks. "I seperated you both from each other. I shouldn't have done that. I know neither of you will or should forgive me but just know that I am sorry for what I put you both through."

The siblings listen to the King warily, taking in his thoughtful words instead of hearing harsh one's like they were expecting.

Taehyung then turns to Seokjin. "I'm sorry about your friend's death. Kyungmi told me everything that happened down here when the Queen ambushed the palace. So you have my condolences."

Seokjin scoffs at what he's hearing. "You're not sorry. You've never been sorry about any death you've come across. And now you have the audacity to ask for their forgiveness, and to show sympathy towards someone who you know nothing about? Why the sudden change in heart?"

"Because my brother is dead."

Jin freezes as they weren't the words he was expecting to hear. His eyes glance across to Jimin and Jungkook and they are just as shocked as him.

"The Prince is...dead? How is that possible?" Jungkook quietly murmurs.

"He was killed in his sleep by the Queen's men." Taehyung answers, then lightly chuckles. "Ironic, isn't it? They say that passing away in your sleep is a peaceful way to die, but it doesn't seem like it at all. It seems like the most scariest way to die; falling asleep not knowing you'll never wake up again."

The three prisoner's heads lower from the now dull atmosphere from the news of the Prince.

Jimin connects his hand with Jungkook's, then bows towards the King. "We are sorry for your loss, your majesty. May the Prince rest in peace."

Jungkook mirrors his actions and bows too. Seokjin hesitates as he watches them, but ends up bowing along with mumbling a condolence under his breath.

It makes Taehyung softly chuckle, turning his head to Jin. "Are you really sorry, or just saying it to get sympathy points? It goes both ways, Jin. I apologised for the loss of your friend and you apologised for the loss of my brother. And yet neither one of us believe each other. It's funny, isn't it?"

"You know my name?" Jin questions.

Taehyung nods. "I know all of your names. You, the brothers Jimin and Jungkook, and your friend Hoseok. So I'll say it again: I am sorry for the loss of your friend."

Jin's eyes soften a little. Blinking, he gulps and eyes dart to the ground. "I'm sorry for the loss of your brother."

The air is now full of silence. Amongst that silence Taehyung rises, taking out the jingling sound of the keys to the cells from his pocket. Then, he unlocks both of them.