six • frappuccino

six: frappuccino

Kennedy Evans: Hey, when are you coming home?

Carter Daniels: Not sure. Why? One of the few times I hang out with my friends and you miss me already? ;)

Kennedy Evans: Dream on, Casanova.

Carter Daniels: You love me. You love me. You love meeeeee.

Kennedy Evans: You're such a dork.

Carter Daniels: But you love me!

Kennedy Evans: Shut up and let me read in peace.

Carter Daniels: Anything for you, Rage.

Rolling my eyes, I tossed my phone beside me on my bed. Carter and I had spent plenty of time together recently. He drove me to The Brew and school everyday. It was a great relief knowing that I wouldn't have to drive in the early morning.

I had actually grown to like our car rides together. Carter still sang every ride, but I didn't mind all that much. I'd never admit it to him, but he actually sang quite well when he tried.

We also had weird conversations that never really made much sense, but they made me laugh. The thing that I appreciated the most, however, was he understood when I didn't want to talk. There were times when the car ride was silent, but it was a comfortable silence.

Carter insisted on getting me coffee every morning since I wasn't driving myself, and I gave in eagerly. I wasn't going to give up my happiness for a free car ride. He also tried to insist on paying, but I refused to let him. We bickered over who would pay for a while, but he finally listened to me. He wasn't my boyfriend and these weren't dates, so he shouldn't be paying. I didn't want him to get any ideas like the other day.

And although these perks were great, it was nice to have some "me time" now. No Carter, no distractions. I was lying on a throw pillow, nose deep in a Sarah Dessen book and felt more relaxed than I had been in a long while.

After a while, I started to feel stiff so I flipped over. As I did so, my eyes fell on the throw pillow I was lying on. I picked up the pillow and sat up to look more carefully at it. It was a custom pillow, one of those that had a personal picture printed on it. With the pillow came back a myriad of old memories and feelings.

You gave this to me a little over a year ago. I still miss you.

I was still looking at the pillow when my mom knocked on the doorframe.

"Still hurting, huh?" she said.

"Yeah."

She took a seat beside me and gave me a hug, rubbing my shoulders gently.

"Does it ever get easier?" I sighed.

"It takes time, but it will." She continued to console me until she finally spoke up. "Hey, what do you say I take you out today? It'll help you take your mind off of things."

"Yeah," I said after thinking about it briefly. "That'd be nice."

"Well then, get dressed! We're going out!" my mom called as she left for her room.

I smiled as I watched her retreating figure. My mom was the best. After one last look at the pillow, I moved it aside and got ready.

I grabbed a plain white tank and threw a warm plaid flannel on top. After shimmying into some light wash skinny jeans, I went into my bathroom to put on some mascara and lip balm. I went downstairs and waited for my mom by the door.