Track 2.02 | growing up and falling in love

Midnights, guys! How are we feeling? *_* The fact that the first chapter I write after Midnights announcement is a post midnights thoughts kind of a chapter >>> love this timing! Enjoy this rare sneak into Oliver's head.

Content Advisory: Super unfiltered and if you relate to lonely nights, fake scenarios and cry yourself to sleep, keep some tissues ready while reading this chapter.

Enjoy and don't forget to comment your thoughts. I love reading them <3

---

🦋 + 🐍

(Oliver's Version)

(Oliver's Version)

This sparkling night would forever be etched behind Oliver's eyelids. And no matter how hard he tried to shake it off, the lingering feeling of her touch on his palm would never him. She was long gone but her laughter still echoed in his ears and he swore this was a sound he could hear on repeat for the rest of his life.

Sighing in defeat, he briefly scanned through his curated selection of coffee pods and decided a decaf one would have to do for now. The coffee machine behind him filled his glass with a brown brew and crackled loudly, the only thing pulling him back to the present when all he wanted to do was drown in the ocean of rare, happy memories.

He blamed her for all of this. His racing heart, his post midnight coffee craving and the sudden urge to fix his life when the whole world was dreaming away deep in sleep. A certain singer's songs were playing in the background, a perfect soundtrack to his nocturnal overthinking. Giving in to the urge, he closed his eyes and the flashback started, playing one memory after another from a few hours ago.

The galaxy coloured hair barista was amused hearing his name for her but tried to hide it by biting her lip so that it wouldn't shape into a smile. He remembered how she said her hair used to be brighter and prettier before - when she had first dyed it - and the colours were fading now. Oliver noticed it too, the streaks of red had settled to an autumnal orange and the purple and blues had turned to the shades of a pretty sky. They always reminded him of twilight, as if a fragment of the very galaxy that never ceased to intrigue him. So did she.

It stunned him how he could be so mesmerised by the colours of her hair - not that this was the first time he had ever heard someone do it. In a rare confession, his ex fiancée, Anne, had once told him how she wanted to dye her the tips of her hair blue on impulse but refrained from doing it when she imagined her father's deadly reaction. And given how lethal and controlling Jonathan was, Oliver was relieved she hadn't given in to that whim. Not that any of it should matter to him anymore. Not after what Anne had done to him.

Sipping his bitter coffee, he wondered how his life would have turned out if not for that heartbreaking one syllable name. Just like a single decision can completely alter the course of life, Anne was a commitment that had completely wrecked his. And no matter how many articles were published about them or how many news channels would profit off of his horrible love life, no one would ever know the truth. Because it was hidden safe inside two quiet hearts - his and Anne's.