Track 1.08 | my reputation's never been worse

🦋 + 🐍

(Oliver's Version)

(Oliver's Version)

Oliver found himself going to the café again, nothing new. Just like work and worrying, grabbing an iced americano takeaway from the newly opened coffee shop had become an indispensable part of his routine.

Everything is the same; nothing has changed, he had to keep reminding himself. Lying, technically. Since in reality, everything had changed.

His office was closed today - rather had to be for everyone else - after the rumours that had surfaced online. The news about the cancelled business merger between Wilson Jewels and Closet Starlight had somehow leaked in the press and he couldn't risk the media entering his office building to question his employees. They couldn't afford any kind of slip up, not at trying times like these.

When Oliver tilted his head to one side to pop an aching joint in his neck, he caught a glimpse of the sky - moments before the sunset - probably for the first time in a long while. He wondered how so many years had passed by and he had never bothered to go outside or look up from his computer screen and just observe. Had his work really been so interesting? He pondered but the answer came quicker than the question.

Work was hardly an accomplishment, always an escape. A getaway from his troubles, a flight instinct that kept him away from bitter memories and a diversion that he could immerse himself into without being questioned. And what did he do when his only escape became a source of his worries? Right, he found another escape. The one he was headed to right now.

Whether it was Brew Space or the barista working there, he couldn't dare to find out.

*

Unlike the usual tranquillity, the café was bustling with people and activity. A group of customers had gathered around the counters and by the way they were huddled together, it didn't feel like they were there waiting for their order at all.

Oliver dared to take a few steps ahead when something caught him off guard. It was a girl, somewhat in her teens, from the crowd who kept talking with vague hand gestures. He couldn't control the soft gasp that escaped his lips when he heard his own name.

"-he is such a player with commitment issues. No wonder she dumped him when she found out he was cheating-"

"No, I heard she was the one who cheated. Poor Oliver. Honestly, he can do so much better than Anne." He quickly recognised this voice as the new barista's, Dio's from when he had first encountered him.

He could clearly see why the owner had hired this guy. It was either his presence and contacts or his good looks that had made the café so full with customers. As a group of teens practically swooned over him and devoured the gossip, Oliver couldn't help but shift his gaze towards the door. Would this café always be so full now? Was it always so packed during evenings and he never knew because he used to stop by around closing time? Should he... leave and come back later? Or probably never come back at all?