Track 1.09 | new to town with a made-up name

A big thank you to all of you for over 3K reads on this story! Each vote, comment and support of yours in any way means the whole freaking world to me <3

This chapter is a small thank you to you for I haven't held back with this one, literally leaving hints scattered all over and though that might not make complete sense now, it will soon enough, after a few chapters 🤭

Enjoy and let me know what you think of this one :)

═══

🦋 + 🐍

(Priyankha's Version)

She breathed heavily against her mask, rushing towards the coffee shop as if the darkness and fog would seep into her skin if she walked any slower. The early morning jog had left her struggling for breath and she held the edge of the counter to steady herself, wiping the beads of perspiration on her forehead once she was inside.

A quick glance at the vintage clock hanging on the opposite wall told her she was on time. Amidst mentally preparing herself for working two jobs at once and helping Grace recover, Priyankha seemed to have completely lost track of time, as if it had stopped being linear somehow. She was so stuck, adamant on avoiding that one terrifying memory from the past that her mind registered the present events way after they had actually happened. It was in this eerie silence that she realised how most of her memories had slipped away into a moment in time.

It was a usual Wednesday, nothing special and almost too early for anyone in Starlight to turn the shop lights on but Priyankha had a ton of last minute orders to complete today. And while she was at it, it wouldn't hurt to prepare in advance for the rush hour. Especially after Grace's condition and having to divide her energy between two separate jobs, she felt grateful to have Dio by her side but keeping up with a professional barista with about a year of experience in this town took more than Priyankha had estimated.

Scrubbing her hands with soap thoroughly, she made a beeline for the coffee beans container and emptied some into the grinding machine which was already cleaned the previous night. As the machine burred, a sound she knew all too well now, she took out some glass jars from the cupboard and started preparing the cakes. Finally a break from the voices in her head, she mocked and thanked the loud grinding machine.

Priyankha stirred the cake mix batter slowly, afraid to spoil the consistency but when her thoughts didn't leave her alone, she registered how therapeutic intensely and angrily mixing the batter could be. As she whisked the batter with swift moments, the flashbacks began haunting her again. One by one. And then all at once.

Her new job. She had first been to that place a while back and though it was a bit demanding, Priyankha found herself enjoying her time there. And the extra income didn't hurt as well. Though she wasn't really good at her job so she doubted how long she'd be able to keep it especially because of how music-