Learning About the Past

Clares POV
We walk down the stairs on our way to get breakfast. John is walking next to me while the others are in front of us.

Now that I am fully awake I realize that the walls had paintings all along them. Some of my mates but most of places I have never seen before. They all were so beautiful and made me feel like I could step through them.

" Do you like the paintings?" I hear John say. I look at him to see him with a small smile as he looked down on me.

" Yes they are beautiful, though I don't think I'm familiar with any of the locations." I look ahead as we start down the stairs.

" I won't expect you too, they are painting of the original towns after the peace treaty. Kline painted them when peace finally spread and we were aloud out of the castle again." He said looking ahead. He had a look of pain as he thinks back to the world before the peace treaty. The pain that past his eyes made my stomach clinch.

I slowly reach over to hold his hand as we come to the second floor. He looks back down to me and I smile up at him as we keep walking.

" Kline is really talented. Do you think he will paint something for me?" I ask as I lightly swing our hands.

I hear him chuckle at me " He would do anything to make you happy."
I smile as we make it to the dining hall.
John pulls out a chair at the end of the table for me to set down. I set with a small thank you as he pushes me in and takes a seat beside me.

Once every one was seated maids set our food in front of us. I am over powered by the smell of bread and potatoes. Breakfast was ham a cheese puffs with fried potatoes.
Before the maid walked away she looked at me " How would you like your tea this morning ma'am?"

" Rose tea with a light honey please." I say with a smile.

She nods and walks over a stand where many kettles sat. I turn back to my food and place my napkin over my lap and pick up my fork. As I take my first bite I can't help but feel like a little kid again.

My mom was an amazing cook who would make amazing masterpiece every day. Believe it or not I was always a chubby kid, that is before the incident.

I snap back to the world when Maddy spoke up" How is it Clare?"
I smile at her" It's amazing."
I now take notice the amount that is on all their plates. They definitely got more then me, not that I was upset because I wouldn't finish all of the food if I had that much. It was just weird because I have not eaten in front of them so I don't know how they new I ate so little.
Sage speaks up " What is on the agenda today?"
John whips his mouth before sayings" Michel and Kline have a meeting with their second in command in 20 minutes. Sage and Sarah have to go to the opening to the community center in Maynooth at noon, their private jet with leave in about 45 minutes. That leaves Maddy, Marcus, and I free today, but I was thinking we take Clare shopping for more clothes, stuff for her room, and a ball gown for the spring Equinox ball at the end of the next week."

Everyone agrees but me" I don't need anymore clothes."

Marcus snort" yes you do, you don't even how two weeks worth of clothes."
" Because I mainly wore my school uniform." I said matter-a-factly.

Marcus rolls his eyes" you won't be in school anymore so it is a perfect time to get you more clothes."

" Again I have what I need, why do I need more?" I say with a little pout.

As Marcus gets ready to speak again Sarah speaks up from my right as she puts her hand on mine" Clare honey, Marcus simply wants to spoil you just like the rest of us. Beside now that you will be Queen you need some professional clothes too, outfits for all sorts of parties we host or go to, not to mention gowns and accessories for balls. You are now a representative of humans all over the the North continent ."

All at once nervousness rushed into my body. I had no idea that my job turned from running a school to running a country. I mean I knew I was their mate but I thought they handled that stuff and I was just their arm candy or whatever.

" Stop that right now miss thing! No more negative thoughts Clarice." Sage burst out.

I snap out of my thoughts and look at her.

Sarah immediately sees her mistake" Oh honey you job isn't that different from what you did at the school. You would plan festival's just like the spring one you plans for school. You would write and read proposals . Like the one you did to change the teaching standers. But the difference is your not alone. We are all here for you."

I take a deep breath  and nod. I sure I can handle it with help. It is now my job and I won't say no and disappoint them. As we finished eating my mates slowly leave for their plans they have. Each stopping to give me a kiss and then head out.

When it was only the four of us left we all stand when butlers come in with light coats for us. I was excited that Nona brought my favorite black cloak down for me.

We make our way out to a red car. John opens the passages door for me and I slide in as Marcus sets behind me and Maddy is behind John.

It was a quiet drive as we make our way to god only knows. I quietly listen to Maddy talk to Marcus and some gossip she over heard the maids talking about. It was cute how Marcus clearly didn't care but listened closely and responded when needed. They seem closed, almost like brother and sister.
As I am in deep thought I feel John slide his finger in between mine. I look at our hands, and how small I clearly am to him. I look up to see him glance back at me with a smile on his face.

I smile and give his hand a little squeeze as I look out the window to see us pull into a parking lot. We pull up to a spot and we start getting out. Before I had the chance Marcus has my door open and holds his hand out to me. I gently take it and step out to look around the gigantic mall that looked more like a shopping district. Marcus shut the door and walks behind me to join the others at the end of the car. I instinctively grab Johns hand at the sight building. I may be a social butterfly with the people I close with and know but this was a lot of strangers.

John looks down at me with a smile" Are you ready?"
With that I sigh and give a nod and we make our way towards the mall.