Recovery

Sage POV
I leave the office to switch Maddy out in our bedroom. Clare is still healing so we make sure someone is with her all the time so she can pull from our energy. As I walk in the room, I see Clare sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace with piles of blankets and pillows around her. As I get closer, I can see she is awake, reading a book.

" where is Maddy?"

Clare looks up at me and smiles. " She is in the bathroom."

Without a word, she sets up and pats the spot where she is lying. I chuckle before kicking off my shoes and sitting down, letting her climb into my lap without hesitation.

Clare has become very clingy with the mark, not that any of us will complain. It's actually very cute. She is more assertive with what she wants. Her shyness withers away and as she fills out in her role as Queen even before she steps into it.

But most of all, I love how once she is in my lap she slides her hand under my shirt to lay on my bare hip as she leans up to kiss me. That is something she would have never done before.
My hands find her hips as I pull her into me lightly, being careful in case she is still sore. Clare is getting stronger by the day but she still gets tired easily and soreness every once in a while.

We pull away when Maddy comes out of the bathroom, giving us a smile as she walks over to squat down beside us." Guess that's my queue to get to work my little fire lily."
Maddy rubs her hand over Clare's cheek for a moment as Clare leans into her with a smile.

Maddy kisses her lips slightly and then turns to leave. I smile down at Clare as she tucks herself back into my chest, running her fingers lightly over my side absentmindedly.

I kiss her head and ask" How are you feeling today love?"

" A lot better, not sore just stiff. But I'm always cold now."

I can't help but chuckle, the mate bond was working." That's because you haven't mated with any of us yet."

She looks up confused before realizing what I meant" Why is that a thing!?"
I laugh once more, loving her innocence.

" It guarantees an heir to each family name and the continuation of our species. Once you mate with John it will go away. But don't worry we aren't rushing you, we love that you want to cuddle and be held all the time."

She smiles at my response and lays her head on my chest again." Okay good, 'cause I love being held."

I play with her hair as I smile down at her. Goddess, she made me feel things I never thought I could. Clare was so perfect in every way, perfect for the country, for the others, and for me.

"Where are you guys working today?"

" We are all in the office today, mainly meetings this morning but now it's just the boring paperwork of the job."

Clare perks up at this new information" Can we go sit in the office with them?"

I laugh, she must be going stir-crazy in this room all the time." Sure love, I don't see why not. But if you start to feel worse again let me know so we can come back up to rest."

Clare nods as she climbs from my lap and stands up. I take in the view of her legs going out from one of Maddy's shirts before looking up to her eyes with a smirk." Actually, I have one condition before we go down."

She tilts her head in confusion but nods her head anyway.
" Take your shirt off."

I chuckle at the look of shock on her face. I knew she was going to tell me no but I can't help but tease her a little first.