31: Everything Pt.1

"You have everything right?" Nolan said, ushering me to the grand gates where they were allowing everyone in.

'Everything' seemed so vague at the moment, where I stood in front of what appeared as the golden gates of my freedom.

My bags were packed, books were tucked into corners of empty space, and clothes lined the bottom of my brand new suitcase. But I still felt like I was missing something, or someone. I was leaving behind my family, I knew that as Natalie held onto me afraid to let go.

Nolan and Natalie had left various times, but it was never me being separated from them, going to a new place for the first time. I had not an inch of security with me, from what Dallas had told me it seemed like at this point he was the closest thing I had to home, when I got on that plane.

Throughout the years of my life, I had never really had someone to miss, it was always moving to a new place with new people. Never the same place or bunch twice. But now here I was already missing them and I hadn't even left yet.

"Promise me you'll see everything, the statues, the museums", Natalie said, looking into my eyes, whimpering through the tears. She saw this trip as something she never had, and she wanted me to use this excuse of freedom for all I have.

"I promise", I whispered to her, holding onto her tightly, not worrying about anything else but how much I would miss her. She had turned into my sole companion, my soul sister, but most importantly my best friend.

"Now promise me, you'll be safe, you'll look after yourself", Nolan said, opening his own arms for a hug.

"I promise", I said, wrapping my arms around him, as he suddenly turned. He turned me around, as he called someone over.

Someone was minimal, he wasn't just someone. At least he wasn't just someone to me.

"Dallas", Nolan called over, motioning to him as he hurried over to us, eyeing me up and down as he approached my whole heartedly family.

Nolan and Dallas had reached a mutual understanding of who they were, for some reason out of all the people there, Nolan trusted Dallas. He believed somehow Dallas would keep me safe, that he would protect me, which I didn't need, dare I say it again and again.

"Keep an eye on our little Mellie, will you?" Nolan asked, ruffling up my hair to the point it was scrambled across my face. Dallas's eyes were on me as Nolan spoke, probably wondering how I got dragged into this mess.

But it all started with him, the other night. His convincing ways, and the way he held me as we slept. So delicate as if he were afraid to hurt me, but so loving, so tender, and caring. I wanted to be in his arms now, surrounded by them.

Was it bad that I was taking this long trip for him too? I knew he didn't need me, but I needed him. I needed our conversations, I needed his hands running down my arm, stroking my cheek. I needed him. Badly.

"I'll do my best, scouts honor", he swore, folding his two fingers down and forming a sign with his fingers, and Nolan seemed pleased with this. But no one else could recognize the sarcastic grin lined on Dallas's face.

I said my goodbyes, giving last hugs and last waves as Dallas and I started walking towards the gates. I looked back once, Natalie was whimpering in Nolan's chest, as they walked the opposite side, was it too late to say I didn't want to go?

A hand sneaked into mine, rubbing his fingers against mine, slightly. He didn't look down at it, he just took it by nature, as if it was normal for him. He could feel my overwhelming fear that made me want to run towards Natalie through the gates that were still wide open, I really didn't need my freedom.