Chapter One

Chapter One (Alexius)

I found myself staring up at the intricate gold designs on the white ceiling over my head, something I was doing very often these days, actually.

The window to my right was pushed open so that the vines of the plants outside could creep in and greet me, their soft green leaves fluttering gently in the wind that swept through the realm this fine, cool morning. The sweet scent of flowers wafted up to my window from the garden outside, the scent of the lake mingling on the air. The spices and herbs that came from the market in town.

The sound of music in the distance, the wind whispering for me, caressing my naked skin with its delicate touch.

I rolled over, my back to the window as I ignored the plants that tried desperately to get my attention. The only things that wanted my attention anyway. They only wanted me to water them, plant them, pay attention to them. All I had to do was look at them and they were pleased.

Unlike the creatures outside this prison. No, not quite a prison. I could leave, yes, but why would I want to? Should I leave and wander into the market, I would get pelted with rocks from the incubi and succubi that hung around there. They would flee with their children and whisper lies about how I was a disgusting half-breed.

Thinking about it boiled my blood and I raked my thick black nails through my hair, bumping against the small horns on my head. I pulled my hands away and dropped them against the silky softness of the blankets around me.

There was a soft knock at the door and I tilted my head to stare at the door, waiting for it to open, but it never did. My guardian never came into my room anymore. It was as if he couldn't stand the sight of me anymore. He would only knock and then hurry away, leaving to do his business in the market.

Like many vendors, he sold herbs and incense, stones with runes carved into them and oracle boards that the humans had taken to calling Oujia Boards. He was just one of the many vendors in town, waiting for when he was hungry so he could leave to seduce humans for food.

I slowly sat up, resting my arms across my knees, the blankets the only thing hiding my private parts from the plants, who didn't care whether I was naked or not. They weren't easily manipulated or cruel.

Not like humans.

Not like the incubi and succubi of the world.

No, more than that. It was as if everyone I'd ever come in contact with only wanted two things from me.

My blood or sex.

Humans usually asked for sex as well as a few select other creatures. The people of my race only wanted my blood. They wanted to stab me, cut me, beat me, stone me. They cared not for the beauty that I held, just like the rest of them.

Stop thinking about it. I scolded myself darkly as I turned, throwing my legs over the side of the bed. I rose to my feet, heading to my wardrobe where I tore down a robe with loose elbow-length sleeves, tying the large belt around my waist to keep it closed, hiding my nudity down to my knees. I opened the wooden door and stepped out onto the small platform of the upstairs that only consisted of my room. The rest of the house was downstairs.

The living room and my guardian's bedroom as well as a kitchen that was only there for my guardian to prepare his herbs and other strange acts of witchcraft.

I came down the narrow steps, pausing at the foot of them as I came into the space between the living room and the kitchen where my guardian was just closing the front door, only to stiffen as he felt me standing behind him.