Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four (Killian)

The party had finally come to an end around midnight that night.

Everyone had left to go to their homes while the rest of us remained at Mallurak and Gracie's. I had also sent Nico and Remi out to bring Telulu and Zenliu to the cambion realm in order to say good bye to their sons.

Although, Zen was all tuckered out. He'd also joined the others in their outrageous games and excitement. He fell asleep on the sofa in the living room, curled up with a wool blanket wrapped around hin as Keltzu sat on the floor in front of him like the protective brother and lover he was. He seemed rather tired himself, though, as he rested his head on the sofa, eyes closed as he snoozed.

Alexius, Ana, and I helped Mallurak and Gracie clean up the house after everyone had gone home. We straightened the furniture, picked up the food and garbage outside, shut the stereo off and brought it inside. I started to close the glass door when I saw that Alexius was still outside, knelt in the grass and looking absolutely relaxed as the large full moon stared down at him like a giant eye in the sky.

I glanced behind me to see that the others were quite distracted with cleaning, so I stepped outside and closed the door. I saw Alexius twitch, which meant he knew I was coming up behind him. I settled in the grass behind him, putting my arms around him. He shifted so our legs our were out together, his back against my chest.

We were silent for a while, just listening to the crickets and cicadas around us that chattered and chirped. The sound of the ocean whispered, the waves crashing to shore before sucking themselves back into the deep blue sea. In the distance was the sound of a wolf howling before it was joined by its pack, then lapsed into silence as they continued their hunt.

I could hear Alexius' heart beating, and what concerned me was the way it skipped every so often, the way his lung expanded for a sharp second as if he were about to speak, then he exhaled as if he gave up on the words that seemed to be on the tip of his tongue. I stroked his cheek with my fingers, his soft, smooth skin warming me.

"Is something wrong?" I asked softly, resting my cheek against the side of his head to try and look at him. His beautiful green eyes were downcast and he seemed to be trying to think before he averted his eyes, closing them slowly, resting his head against my chest.

"I'm working on it." He answered quietly. I frowned, mildly concerned. I had assumed we'd gotten all our troubles out of the way. Was I missing something? He was in Erini, where he was safe from the others, including Lothos and Marikas. Gods were strictly prohibited from entering the realm of Erini at any time. With them came war and with war came death and destruction, certainly not something you would want in a place like Erini.

We'd also discussed the fact that Alexius' father was dead. Hanged for being a witch during the Salem Witch Trials. So there was no need to persue him any further.

What was there left to deal with?

"Alexius, you're worrying me." I said at last, reaching my hand around to cup his chin, tilting his head up toward mine as I looked down at him. He stared up at me with powerful emerald eyes that warmed me to the core of my soul, and yet, there was something troubling him. I could see the occasional flicker of his eyes, hear the skip in his heart, the contracting of his lungs. His adrenaline was coursing through his veins hotly, searing me and making my mouth water, my fangs threatening to slip down and sink into his throat.

"Sorry," Alexius said at last, still staring up at me, "I'm trying to find a way to word this so you're not angry."

"Not angry," I repeated, frowning now, "Why would I be angry with you?"